Apr 9, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Porter was asked following the Astros’ 3-0 loss to the Mariners if Martinez, who was hitting cleanup for the first time this year, had been injured, and he told reporters to ask Martinez what happened.
“That was a manager’s decision,” Porter said. “You go ask him why he didn’t finish the game. I’m actually interested in what he’s going to tell you.”
Go read Martinez’s answer. It sounds like a combination of scolded child and pre-Seppuku samurai. The upshot: he didn’t follow the hitting approach discussed pregame and popped out on a first pitch swing. But there was definitely a “yes sir, may I have another?” element to it all.
Which, hey, whatever works. It’s good to see that Porter has his young hitters thinking about approaches to at bats and stuff. That said, it’s weird to see these kinds of teaching moments in the major leagues. That’s where the Astros are, though.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)