Apr 9, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Carlos Carrasco opened the 2013 season serving a six-game suspension he received for intentionally drilling Kansas City’s Billy Butler in 2011. Now he could well be looking at another one after seemingly intentionally drilling Kevin Youkilis following a Robinson Cano homer in the fourth inning Tuesday.
Immediately after Cano drove a ball out to left center to give the Yankees a 7-0 lead, Carrasco hit Youkilis in the shoulder area with a fastball. The Yankees went on to win 14-1, with Cano driving in five runs.
The odd thing about the ejection was that home-plate umpire Jordan Baker, a newcomer on the scene who umpired his first major league games last June, tossed Carrasco the ball after the HBP, only to eject him afterwards. It still wasn’t clear until after Terry Francona went to get him that Carrasco had been tossed.
After losing out to Scott Kazmir on a rotation spot, Carrasco, who is coming back from Tommy John surgery, was originally expected to open this season in the minors. However, the Indians carried him in order to burn off the aforementioned six-game suspension. The Indians were giving him a spot start tonight, and they’re likely to send him to Triple-A tomorrow.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)