Apr 9, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Carlos Santana is banged up after taking a pitch to the thumb last night, but his backup is in worse shape. Cleveland placed Lou Marson on the disabled list with a cervical neck strain that stems from a home plate collision with Desmond Jennings over the weekend.
To replace Marson the Indians called up Yan Gomes, the catcher/first baseman/outfielder who was acquired from the Blue Jays in the Mike Aviles deal this winter. Gomes struggled offensively in 43 games as a rookie last season, but he’s shown pretty good power in the minors.
Santana is out of the lineup tonight because of the thumb injury, so Gomes is starting behind the plate and batting ninth. And in a sign that Santana could miss more than a day or two, the Indians also called up catcher Omir Santos from Triple-A.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)