Apr 9, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Carlos Santana is banged up after taking a pitch to the thumb last night, but his backup is in worse shape. Cleveland placed Lou Marson on the disabled list with a cervical neck strain that stems from a home plate collision with Desmond Jennings over the weekend.
To replace Marson the Indians called up Yan Gomes, the catcher/first baseman/outfielder who was acquired from the Blue Jays in the Mike Aviles deal this winter. Gomes struggled offensively in 43 games as a rookie last season, but he’s shown pretty good power in the minors.
Santana is out of the lineup tonight because of the thumb injury, so Gomes is starting behind the plate and batting ninth. And in a sign that Santana could miss more than a day or two, the Indians also called up catcher Omir Santos from Triple-A.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 3
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)