Apr 9, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Carlos Santana is banged up after taking a pitch to the thumb last night, but his backup is in worse shape. Cleveland placed Lou Marson on the disabled list with a cervical neck strain that stems from a home plate collision with Desmond Jennings over the weekend.
To replace Marson the Indians called up Yan Gomes, the catcher/first baseman/outfielder who was acquired from the Blue Jays in the Mike Aviles deal this winter. Gomes struggled offensively in 43 games as a rookie last season, but he’s shown pretty good power in the minors.
Santana is out of the lineup tonight because of the thumb injury, so Gomes is starting behind the plate and batting ninth. And in a sign that Santana could miss more than a day or two, the Indians also called up catcher Omir Santos from Triple-A.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)