Apr 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Jamie Moyer lasted only 10 starts with the Rockies last season after returning from Tommy John elbow surgery and spent the rest of the year trying unsuccessfully to pitch himself back to the big leagues at Triple-A, but he still hasn’t given up on another comeback.
Moyer, who’s now 50 years old, was in Seattle last night to throw out the first pitch at the Mariners-Astros games and spoke to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times about his status:
I haven’t closed that door yet. I don’t know when I would make a decision. I really haven’t put a lot of thought into it. I’m enjoying my time at home at this point. I’ve got a college senior playing baseball. A college freshman starting at Pepperdine, playing baseball. I’ve got a daughter graduating from high school, going to college. Another daughter that’s going to be a junior next year. And then I have two fourth graders and two first graders.
So, I’m enjoying my time. And I’ve got a garden growing. I’ve got lettuce I’m eating now and micro-gardens. I’m excited about that. I’ve got some fruit trees going in. I’ve got a puppy. So, I’m doing some things I haven’t done in a long time.
First of all, that’s a lot of kids. Second of all, Moyer did admit that he’s basically stopped throwing and has “just kind of let my body kind of amp itself down.” So obviously while he hasn’t officially announced anything, he’s all but retired. It was a helluva run. And congrats on the garden.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)