Apr 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Jamie Moyer lasted only 10 starts with the Rockies last season after returning from Tommy John elbow surgery and spent the rest of the year trying unsuccessfully to pitch himself back to the big leagues at Triple-A, but he still hasn’t given up on another comeback.
Moyer, who’s now 50 years old, was in Seattle last night to throw out the first pitch at the Mariners-Astros games and spoke to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times about his status:
I haven’t closed that door yet. I don’t know when I would make a decision. I really haven’t put a lot of thought into it. I’m enjoying my time at home at this point. I’ve got a college senior playing baseball. A college freshman starting at Pepperdine, playing baseball. I’ve got a daughter graduating from high school, going to college. Another daughter that’s going to be a junior next year. And then I have two fourth graders and two first graders.
So, I’m enjoying my time. And I’ve got a garden growing. I’ve got lettuce I’m eating now and micro-gardens. I’m excited about that. I’ve got some fruit trees going in. I’ve got a puppy. So, I’m doing some things I haven’t done in a long time.
First of all, that’s a lot of kids. Second of all, Moyer did admit that he’s basically stopped throwing and has “just kind of let my body kind of amp itself down.” So obviously while he hasn’t officially announced anything, he’s all but retired. It was a helluva run. And congrats on the garden.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 0
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 20
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)