Apr 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Jamie Moyer lasted only 10 starts with the Rockies last season after returning from Tommy John elbow surgery and spent the rest of the year trying unsuccessfully to pitch himself back to the big leagues at Triple-A, but he still hasn’t given up on another comeback.
Moyer, who’s now 50 years old, was in Seattle last night to throw out the first pitch at the Mariners-Astros games and spoke to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times about his status:
I haven’t closed that door yet. I don’t know when I would make a decision. I really haven’t put a lot of thought into it. I’m enjoying my time at home at this point. I’ve got a college senior playing baseball. A college freshman starting at Pepperdine, playing baseball. I’ve got a daughter graduating from high school, going to college. Another daughter that’s going to be a junior next year. And then I have two fourth graders and two first graders.
So, I’m enjoying my time. And I’ve got a garden growing. I’ve got lettuce I’m eating now and micro-gardens. I’m excited about that. I’ve got some fruit trees going in. I’ve got a puppy. So, I’m doing some things I haven’t done in a long time.
First of all, that’s a lot of kids. Second of all, Moyer did admit that he’s basically stopped throwing and has “just kind of let my body kind of amp itself down.” So obviously while he hasn’t officially announced anything, he’s all but retired. It was a helluva run. And congrats on the garden.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)