Jamie Moyer hasn’t given up on another comeback at age 50

Apr 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EST

moyer getty Getty Images

Jamie Moyer lasted only 10 starts with the Rockies last season after returning from Tommy John elbow surgery and spent the rest of the year trying unsuccessfully to pitch himself back to the big leagues at Triple-A, but he still hasn’t given up on another comeback.

Moyer, who’s now 50 years old, was in Seattle last night to throw out the first pitch at the Mariners-Astros games and spoke to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times about his status:

I haven’t closed that door yet. I don’t know when I would make a decision. I really haven’t put a lot of thought into it. I’m enjoying my time at home at this point. I’ve got a college senior playing baseball. A college freshman starting at Pepperdine, playing baseball. I’ve got a daughter graduating from high school, going to college. Another daughter that’s going to be a junior next year. And then I have two fourth graders and two first graders.

So, I’m enjoying my time. And I’ve got a garden growing. I’ve got lettuce I’m eating now and micro-gardens. I’m excited about that. I’ve got some fruit trees going in. I’ve got a puppy. So, I’m doing some things I haven’t done in a long time.

First of all, that’s a lot of kids. Second of all, Moyer did admit that he’s basically stopped throwing and has “just kind of let my body kind of amp itself down.” So obviously while he hasn’t officially announced anything, he’s all but retired. It was a helluva run. And congrats on the garden.

Latest Posts
  1. Tommy Lasorda reads “Twas the Night Before Christmas”

Dec 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

mlb video

A good way to finish off our Christmas Eve coverage on HardballTalk …

2. Kenta Maeda re-signs with the Hiroshima Carp

Dec 24, 2014, 8:04 PM EST

kenta maeda getty Getty Images

The sought-after 26-year-old right-hander has now officially re-signed with the Hiroshima Carp for the 2015 season, according to the Japan Times.

3. Rockies sign outfielder Roger Bernadina

Dec 24, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

roger bernadina getty Getty Images

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Rockies have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with outfielder Roger Bernadina.

4. What baseball team did people from Bedford Falls root for?

Dec 24, 2014, 4:21 PM EST

IAWL

A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town. Well, except for Mr. Potter. That guy is LOADED.

5. The Braves and A.J. Pierzynski reach a one-year deal; first reported in a ham store

Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Ham

No, really. The news broke on line at a Honeybaked Ham store.

6. THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year

Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

megaphone

Based on these results, no, we will not stick to baseball. Because you clearly don’t want us to.

7. Orioles re-sign Delmon Young

Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Delmon Young Getty Images

Buck Showalter found a way to get value out of Young in a part-time role.

8. “There’s a decent chance” the Rays will trade Ben Zobrist

Dec 24, 2014, 11:16 AM EST

Ben Zobrist AP

Zobrist has been a regular for the Rays since 2008.

9. The average major league salary is up to $3.8 million

Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Money Bag

Money don’t get everything it’s true. But what it don’t get, I can’t use

10. The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what?

Dec 24, 2014, 9:14 AM EST

Jeter and A-Rod

Dirty secret: baseball isn’t always about winning. Even when the Yankees are involved.

11. Video: Nationals Park transforms into ice rink for next week’s 2015 Winter Classic

Dec 23, 2014, 10:59 PM EST

2015 winter classic logo

“NHL Live” on NBC Sports Network ended a segment Tuesday night with this time-lapse video of Nationals Park being converted from a baseball field into an ice rink for next week’s 2015 NHL Winter Classic between the Washington Capitals and visiting Chicago Blackhawks …

12. Padres ink Brett Wallace to minor league contract

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44 PM EST

brett wallace getty Getty Images

As first reported by Matt Eddy of Baseball America, the Padres have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with first baseman Brett Wallace. The deal comes with an invitation to …

13. Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract

Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 PM EST

jason grilli getty Getty Images

From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Braves have signed 38-year-old right-handed reliever Jason Grilli to a two-year, $8 million contract with a club option for 2017 …

14. Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada expected to begin private workouts within two weeks

Dec 23, 2014, 7:58 PM EST

cuba hat

19-year-old infield prospect Yoan Moncada defected from his native Cuba over the summer and was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball back in mid-November, but he is still waiting for official clearance from the United States’ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) …

15. Cubs announce two-year, $5 million deal with David Ross

Dec 23, 2014, 6:23 PM EST

david ross

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was first to report that a deal was in place between the Cubs and veteran catcher David Ross, and now that agreement has been made official …

16. Twins sign Tim Stauffer for $2.2 million

Dec 23, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

Tim Stauffer Getty Getty Images

Minnesota adds a right-handed reliever.

17. L.J. Mazzilli — Mets prospect and son of Lee Mazzilli — suspended 50 games for drugs

Dec 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

mets logo

It was his second positive test for a “drug of abuse.”

18. Marlins claim Preston Claiborne off waivers from Yankees

Dec 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EST

Preston Claiborne Yankees Getty Images

Claiborne has held his own as a big leaguer with a 3.79 ERA and 58/24 K/BB ratio in 71 career innings through age 26.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3951)
  2. J. Kang (3387)
  3. J. Upton (2916)
  4. C. McGehee (2860)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2830)
  1. M. Kemp (2776)