Jeff Niemann needs season-ending shoulder surgery

Apr 9, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

Bad news in Tampa Bay:

Niemann’s velocity has been down since spring training, he was injured a lot last year.  Looks like a rough rehab plus a non-tender this offseason is in the future. Tough break.

1. stex52 - Apr 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Well, it’s raining poop on the Rays right now. Sorry to see that. Niemann is a Houston-area boy. Hope he comes back.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I agree with you Stex. By the way, I did draft Altuve as my second baseman on my AL only fantasy team. Thanks for the heads up.

• stex52 - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Glad it’s working out. I would be happy to have Altuve on my team. But when my number came up, some kid named Zobrist was still available. I took a chance on him.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I missed out on Zobrist as the guy picking just ahead of me took him. Altuve was still available late after some inferior second basemen were gone. If Indaberg is still there, I did get Moore and as I still needed a short stop late, I held my nose and went with Escobar instead of the old one legged Yankee.

• indaburg - Apr 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

It’s been a rough week for my boys. It’ll get better.

2. unclemosesgreen - Apr 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Boy you said it, not just a bad break, but putrid timing for the lad.

3. chill1184 - Apr 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Certainly a kick in the pants the Rays didnt need, especially after last night

4. raysfan1 - Apr 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

That’s 2 straight years of major injury issues. Hate it for him, but at some point the Rays have to make future plans that don’t include him. His last arbitration eligibility is at the end of this year, and he will be 31. He will also have no trade value unless he does come back fully recovered. Just sucks all the way around.

5. APBA Guy - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I echo the sentiments above: former first rounder, very effective when healthy, but not healthy often enough. Plus shoulder surgery is iffy in that full recovery isn’t as certain for pitchers as elbow surgery. Best of luck to him.

Orioles turn AL East on its head