Joe Nathan picks up 300th career save

Apr 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EST

Cleveland Indians v Texas Rangers Getty Images

Lost in the terrible strike call that ended yesterday’s Rangers-Rays game is that the pitch closed out the 300th save of Joe Nathan‘s career, moving him into a tie for 22nd place on the all-time list with Bruce Sutter and Jason Isringhausen.

What makes Nathan’s save total especially impressive is that he didn’t become a closer until age 29 and then missed his entire age-35 season following Tommy John elbow surgery. And yet if he duplicates last season’s 37 saves he’ll finish this year ranked 11th all time between Rollie Fingers and John Wetteland.

And if you look only at career saves from age 29 on, Nathan could finish this season fourth all time behind only Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman, and Dennis Eckersley.

1. missthemexpos - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Definitely the worse strike call to end a game that I have ever seen, the ump must have had plans to be somewhere else PDQ.

• hammyofdoom - Apr 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I don’t know… that playoff game in 1997 that Livan Hernandez pitched against the Braves (sorry Craig) has got to be the worst thing I’ve ever seen. I may not have seen it live… but I’ve seen the murder evidence.

2. cur68 - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I hope Nathan doesn’t plan on counting this one as a “Save”. T’wasn’t saved, by any means. As AJ Pierzi(whatever) if he thought Nathan was “saving” this game.

• stex52 - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Nathan was definitely not on, Cur. But it was a Save. Look in the record book. Life isn’t fair. And in two months, we will have forgotten the strike call ever happened.

• cur68 - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Oh sure. Get all “facts” on me. Mess with my outrage. Sure.

Fine. He got a “save”. Same way I caught a shark. It was a 12 inch baby reef shark, but hey I’m a shark catcher.

• stex52 - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Nathan and Pierz knew they got the break. He would actually probably agree with you (off the record) that it wasn’t much of a save.

3. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I all but forgot about John Wetteland. Good reminder, as he was one of the semi-bright-spots on the Rangers’ roster in the late 90s.

4. hojo20 - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I look forward to his induction at Cooperstown.

5. jwbiii - Apr 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM

With three Joe Nathan posts before, I can’t believe I didn’t remember this earlier. Nathan was part of the return when the Twins traded Pierzynski to the Giants.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester