Nick Swisher was “hurt” that the Yankees didn’t make him an offer

Apr 9, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Indians' Nick Swisher is congratulated by teammates after home run against Giants during their MLB Cactus League spring training baseball game in Scottsdale

Did you know: when Nick Swisher is “hurt,” the “bro”-quotient in his speech is reduced by as much as 76%? It’s true!

Here’s Mark Feinsand of the Daily News asking Swisher about his offseason move from New York to Cleveland:

“It hurt. That team was amazing. The city was amazing, my teammates were so great to me … When it boils down to it, they didn’t come to me. They didn’t even offer anything. In a situation like that, as much as I love that city and as hard as it was for me to leave, I had to do what was best for my family and myself.”

Eh, it’s business. I think everyone who has paid any bit of attention to the Yankees knows it’s business. Swisher is an emotional guy, though, so this is understandable too.

1. kjericho43 - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM

There is no crying in baseball, dude.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Ever hear of Lou Gehrig?

• kjericho43 - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Maybe.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

“Avoid the clap”

• bigharold - Apr 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Is that you Jimmy Dugan?

2. proudlycanadian - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Swisher is in a much better place in Cleveland than he would have been with the frugal Yankees.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Or worse he could be on the last place bluejays who are on the pain train in 2013. gibbons seat is so warm i bet he cant sit down in that dugout for more then 15mins

3. heyblueyoustink - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

When it comes to the Yankees, it seems Everybody Hurts!

4. lazlosother - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM

He didn’t say anything negative about the fans, teammates or front office. He just expressed some disappointment. He liked playing in NY, but he’s a pretty happy type of guy and I think he’ll like Cleveland too.

5. turdfurgerson68 - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Take off your (hot) wife’s undies and man up you panty-waist!

Enjoy being overpaid by 6-8 mil a season you goofball.

• genericcommenter - Apr 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I think he’s making $11 million this year. You think a guy who provides close to 4 WAR per season (2 in a really bad year) is only worth $3-5 million? You can’t even find a marginal starting player for that. Even if you go by his high end of $15 mil- you think he’s a $7-9 million player? Ha.

6. tfbuckfutter - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Aww poor guy….

At least he can go back to doing stupid shit with his hair though.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

“Ow, my freakin’ ears.”

• number42is1 - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

GREAT episode….

7. mybrunoblog - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

It’s business Nick. Nothing personal, strictly business.

8. pisano - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The Yankees didn’t think Nick was worth what he thought he was worth, plain and simple. No hard feelings.

• bigharold - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I’m not sure that the Yankees real issues wasn’t how much, so much has how long. Either way, what happens on the field is baseball the rest is business.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Except Swisher signed for $2M a year more than the Yanks are paying Ichiro and Wells. Swisher put an average of .268/.367/.483 (120 OPS+) with 34 2b, 26 HR, 87 RBI and 83R a season when he was with the Yanks. Think the Ichiro/Wells duo can match that?

• Kevin S. - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Ichiro + Wells wilk count for $6.5 million against next year’s LT, Swisher $14 million. That’s the only number the Yanks cared about.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Isn’t Ichiro getting $6M/yr and Wells $8M/yr? Why the huge discrepancy?

• Kevin S. - Apr 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Basically, because the Angels are paying part of Wells salary, the Yankees were able to front-load hs LT hit all into 2013.

• bigharold - Apr 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM

” Think the Ichiro/Wells duo can match that?”

Again, I think it was the length of contract more than the cost. Swisher wanted a 4 year deal and the Yankees didn’t think he was worth four years. In general I don’t think the Yankees wanted to chance paying him 14 mil a year at 36, to say nothing of the vesting for another 14 at 37.

9. geoknows - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Where does Swisher get off saying the Yankees didn’t make him an offer??? They made him an offer, which he declined. If they hadn’t made him an offer the Indians wouldn’t have had to give up a draft pick to sign him. He could have accepted if he wanted to stay so bad.

• Kevin S. - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Okay, ca we stop acting like the QO is a serious offer to players of a certain caliber?

10. Caught Looking - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

“I had to do what was best for my family and myself.”

So he moved them to Cleveland?

11. mungman69 - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The Yankees are old and no one is coming to help them out.

• sailonoc - Apr 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

except Hafner & Wells…

• bigharold - Apr 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM

And, .. so far, .. Youkilis.

12. sailonoc - Apr 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

So surprise here……
    Seems Swisher always wears out his welcome rather quickly…
    No tears were shed by the A’s, White Sox and now the Yanks…
    Maybe it’s time Swisher learned there is no “I” in “TEAM”!
    He appears to me that he is always posing or preening for the TV cameras…
    Obviously, he is NOT one my favorite ball players and I’ve been compiling that list
    since 1941…

• Kevin S. - Apr 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Nick Swisher in no way wore out his welcome in New York. He was a numbers casualty of Project 189.

13. kcchiefs58 - Apr 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I think it also boiled down to his abysmal October batting average. Ouch, it was bad.

14. jt2663 - Apr 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Nick was also upset that CC didn’t wear flip flops in the shower.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet