Apr 9, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
“Some days you’re a horse, and some days you’re a horse’s ass, and I’ve been a horse’s ass for a little while.”
But Doc wasn’t just being flip. As Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports, he was pretty emotional after last night’s game, and at one point almost seemed like he was going to well up.
This is absolutely brutal. Halladay at his best is a machine. To see him struggle with the pitching and to see just how much it’s affecting him is one of the harder things to watch over the past couple of seasons. It doesn’t help that, in some ways, he’s in denial too. Salisbury reports that Halladay believes his problems to be “95 percent mental” and that he’s just trying too hard or pressing. Which, with all due respect to Halladay, is the secondary thing here. His fastball has lost life and he can’t throw it by anyone, which is likely flummoxing him. This seems like a shoulder problem first, a brain problem second.
Here’s hoping he rights the ship. If he can’t in the short term it’s super problematic because his upcoming schedule is, on the whole, rather pitcher-friendly.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)