Apr 9, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
“Some days you’re a horse, and some days you’re a horse’s ass, and I’ve been a horse’s ass for a little while.”
But Doc wasn’t just being flip. As Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports, he was pretty emotional after last night’s game, and at one point almost seemed like he was going to well up.
This is absolutely brutal. Halladay at his best is a machine. To see him struggle with the pitching and to see just how much it’s affecting him is one of the harder things to watch over the past couple of seasons. It doesn’t help that, in some ways, he’s in denial too. Salisbury reports that Halladay believes his problems to be “95 percent mental” and that he’s just trying too hard or pressing. Which, with all due respect to Halladay, is the secondary thing here. His fastball has lost life and he can’t throw it by anyone, which is likely flummoxing him. This seems like a shoulder problem first, a brain problem second.
Here’s hoping he rights the ship. If he can’t in the short term it’s super problematic because his upcoming schedule is, on the whole, rather pitcher-friendly.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)