Apr 9, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
“Some days you’re a horse, and some days you’re a horse’s ass, and I’ve been a horse’s ass for a little while.”
But Doc wasn’t just being flip. As Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports, he was pretty emotional after last night’s game, and at one point almost seemed like he was going to well up.
This is absolutely brutal. Halladay at his best is a machine. To see him struggle with the pitching and to see just how much it’s affecting him is one of the harder things to watch over the past couple of seasons. It doesn’t help that, in some ways, he’s in denial too. Salisbury reports that Halladay believes his problems to be “95 percent mental” and that he’s just trying too hard or pressing. Which, with all due respect to Halladay, is the secondary thing here. His fastball has lost life and he can’t throw it by anyone, which is likely flummoxing him. This seems like a shoulder problem first, a brain problem second.
Here’s hoping he rights the ship. If he can’t in the short term it’s super problematic because his upcoming schedule is, on the whole, rather pitcher-friendly.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)