Apr 9, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
“Some days you’re a horse, and some days you’re a horse’s ass, and I’ve been a horse’s ass for a little while.”
But Doc wasn’t just being flip. As Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports, he was pretty emotional after last night’s game, and at one point almost seemed like he was going to well up.
This is absolutely brutal. Halladay at his best is a machine. To see him struggle with the pitching and to see just how much it’s affecting him is one of the harder things to watch over the past couple of seasons. It doesn’t help that, in some ways, he’s in denial too. Salisbury reports that Halladay believes his problems to be “95 percent mental” and that he’s just trying too hard or pressing. Which, with all due respect to Halladay, is the secondary thing here. His fastball has lost life and he can’t throw it by anyone, which is likely flummoxing him. This seems like a shoulder problem first, a brain problem second.
Here’s hoping he rights the ship. If he can’t in the short term it’s super problematic because his upcoming schedule is, on the whole, rather pitcher-friendly.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)