Apr 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Making official what was expected, the Red Sox announced that Alfredo Aceves will step into the rotation for the injured John Lackey, with his first start scheduled for tomorrow night against the Orioles.
Felix Doubront will slide back one day, starting Friday against the Rays in what was Lackey’s actual spot in the rotation. And for now at least the Red Sox haven’t placed Lackey on the disabled list, leaving open the possibility that he could return after missing just one or two starts.
Aceves threw 3.1 innings in relief after Lackey exited clutching his arm Saturday, so he’s stretched out enough to throw five-plus innings, but he hasn’t started a game since 2011 and has just nine career starts at age 30.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)