Apr 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Making official what was expected, the Red Sox announced that Alfredo Aceves will step into the rotation for the injured John Lackey, with his first start scheduled for tomorrow night against the Orioles.
Felix Doubront will slide back one day, starting Friday against the Rays in what was Lackey’s actual spot in the rotation. And for now at least the Red Sox haven’t placed Lackey on the disabled list, leaving open the possibility that he could return after missing just one or two starts.
Aceves threw 3.1 innings in relief after Lackey exited clutching his arm Saturday, so he’s stretched out enough to throw five-plus innings, but he hasn’t started a game since 2011 and has just nine career starts at age 30.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)