Barry Zito still unbeatable in 10-0 win over Rockies

Apr 10, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT

Barry Zito Getty Images

Including last year’s postseason, the Giants are riding a streak of 16 straight victories with Barry Zito on the mound. The left-hander pitched seven scoreless innings and went 2-for-3 with two runs scored Wednesday in a 10-0 drubbing of the Rockies.

Zito posted a 1.69 ERA in his three postseason starts last year, and he’s yet to allow a run in 14 innings in 2013.

Perhaps no one but me is thinking of next year right now, but at the rate Zito is going, the Giants might actually pick up his $18 million option for 2014, a possibility that would have seemed preposterous at pretty much any point since the first year of his seven-year, $126 million contract.

The key there is the $7 million buyout attached to said option, meaning the Giants will essentially have to decide whether they think Zito will be worth $11 million in 2014. Or perhaps the decision will be made for him; the option vests automatically if Zito throws 200 innings this year. He hasn’t reached that mark since 2006, his last year with Oakland, but it probably goes hand-in-hand with the Giants’ decision anyway. If Zito throws 200 innings or very close to it, he’ll probably be someone the Giants will want around at $11 million for 2014.

Of course, that’s all a long way off. The Giants will just enjoy the ride for now, since there’s no telling whether it will last. If you remember, Zito started with a 1.67 ERA in four starts last April, then posted ERAs of 4.94, 4.54, 4.07 and 6.46 the following four months before rebounding in September. In 2010, Zito started 4-0 with a 1.53 ERA in April and then went 5-14 with a 4.72 ERA the rest of the way.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM

cant say im a buyer on this recent run of good starts. sell high!

2. dondada10 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Wow, a 7 million dollar buy-out? That’s gotta be a record.

• Kevin S. - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Cliff Lee’s 2016 buy-out is $12.5 million.

• Kevin S. - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Also, Ryan Howard has a $10 million buyout on his 2017 option.

• dondada10 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Well then RAJ is a moron.

• tuberippin - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

We’re not disputing that.

Sincerely,
        Phillies Fans (Phans)

3. Sideline Mob - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Reblogged this on Sideline Mob.

4. hittfamily - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I’d bet my new pop up camper that Zito’s next contact is for more money than Lincecum. Imagine hearing that in 2011.

5. Marty - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Different paths he and Jonathan Sanchez took.

• nineroutsider - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I was thinking about Jonathan Sanchez last night watching Timmy. Sanchez had nasty stuff that he managed to corral about 5 starts a year. Timmy is going through it with his location and it reminds me of Sanchez…just a little. Sanchez even managed to throw a no-no for the Giants and now what…he’s almost worked his way out of the Pirates system?

I’m not sure Sanchez could have turned it around like Zito, but he’d benefit from working with Rags again for sure.

• clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM

What? You know Barry Zito was a good to great pitcher in the major leagues for six years before he came to the giants, right? What on earth would bring you to compare hi to Jonathan Sanchez?

• Marty - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Two years ago, Barry was in decline, Jonathan was a potential ace.

Thanks for your time.

• clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Potential Ace to who? Why? What made him a potential ace?

Because he threw a no hitter?

the comparison makes no sense.

Different paths Barry Zito and Ricky Romero took. See?

• Marty - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hey Clyde, stop being so insecure, reactionary, stubborn and childish. Take a breath then continue to STFU.

Thanks again for your time.

• clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

wait? I point out a problem with your comparison, a legitimate baseball conversation, you reply, I counter. You tell me to stop being childish and to shut the fuck up?

You are a confusing person

6. riverace19 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I never thought I would say this but I AM a buyer… He hasn’t lost since August 2. His ground ball rate is increasing. His ridiculous HR/FB of 2011 has normalized and he’s $$ motivated… Who isn’t?
    I’m thinking 16 wins and a 4.05 ERA is attainable.

7. yankeepunk3000 - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I’ll tell you this Mathew I’m right with you. I’ve been thinking about that too since last postseason. Last year he did OK and if this year he does pretty well I can see them picking it up. Unless Zito somehow tells them let him opt out then sign him to a less deal. then maybe he only makes 10 or 11 million next year. It soesnt seem to crazy when zito wants to stay a giant kNOWS he will get atleast 7 million next year anyways. Maybe if they do that I can very well see Zito becoming a fan fav. even after those terrible 5 years. baseball is crazy that way but I have always been a fan of Big Z. I’ve seen him pitch many times live and always wished he could somehow turn it around. Here’s hoping guys.

• nineroutsider - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

His streak should have died in Game 4 in Cincy but Timmy saved his ass with a huge long relief appearance.

Ever since the Game 5 start against the Cardinals he’s taking his stuff to a whole new level. He has his Oakland A’s confidence and its awesome to watch him pitch. Baseball is a trip because no one saw him doing this just last year. He got left off of the 2010 postseason roster. I used to loathe watching Zito’s start.

It’s like his head trip left him and jumped into Lincecum. At least its not both of them. Plus, Timmy is closer than people think to getting it right (I said that last July too).

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Possible Theory: Slimer possessed Zito. Zito cast him out, Slimer wandered into Timmay?

• clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM

right, the streak should have died in game 4, and then really the start yesterday should have ended the streak, but the Rockies didn’t score any runs. And it should ahve ended last year, except the giants scored more runs than the opponents.

• clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

what does that look like? There is no way he gives the Giants $7M. He cant and won’t. So its Buy out $7M, sign for free? The Giants won’t want to extend Barry Zito for 3 years or even 2 years. So there is no utility in not just picking up the option if they want him around.

8. badintent - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I think going on Letterman killed his career

9. mungman69 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM

When your hot your hot.

• tmhofficial - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

*you’re

Also, *you’re again.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3901)