Carlos Carrasco: “I really want to say sorry, I don’t want to hit anybody”

Apr 10, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Kevin Youkilis

Carlos Carrasco‘s return from Tommy John elbow surgery was delayed by having to serve a six-game suspension left over from plunking Billy Butler with a pitch in 2011. With his suspension over, Carrasco returned to the mound last night against the Yankees … and was ejected in the fourth inning for plunking Kevin Youkilis.

Carrasco hit Youkilis after Robinson Cano hit a homer in a blowout and Yankees manager Joe Girardi is convinced it was on purpose, but afterward Carrasco insisted it was an accident:

I know it doesn’t look good. I really want to say sorry. I don’t want to hit anybody. I don’t want to do anything bad. I waited a year and a half to get my suspension [done] and everything. I don’t want to do that again. I don’t want to be suspended.

Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Carrasco waited for Terry Francona outside the manager’s office to explain himself and say he didn’t do it on purpose, but no one involved from either side seems fully convinced. And either way he’s probably facing another suspension.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I think the last sentence of his quote really says it all. “What do I have to do to not get suspended here?”

2. deathmonkey41 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If he didn’t do it on purpose, why is he sorry? Dude’s got some issues and I think the loss of some paychecks might help him figure it out.

• sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

What? If it was an accident, why is he sorry he committed the accident? What you say doesn’t make any sense to me.

• protius - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

You make an excellent point; however, reviewing the pitch on DVR reveals that he does slip during his delivery. So what are we to make of this situation?

I think the only why out of this dilemma, is to say that the guy is unfamiliar with conditional logic, and that he’s sorry that Youkilis was hit by a pitch that he threw.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM

He slips after the pitch hits Youkilis. He was trying to deke the ump, but it didn’t work.

• martywinn - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Isn’t it appropriate to be sorry for an accident? If I bump into someone I say I’m sorry. If you are performing a risky action and someone gets hurt that is a step worse. If you intentionally do something wrong and then regret it that requires an even more repentant apology.

• pandorasdadca - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

That’s an asinine statement. If (and it’s a big if) he didn’t do it on purpose, he has more reason to be sorry for hitting a guy than if it was on purpose.

3. deathmonkey41 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

First off, he really hurt the Indians because they screwed around with the rotation to make room for him and then they had to use today’s starter last night. But the most stupid thing about this is that he had two strike outs in the game up to that point- both were against Youkilis.

4. sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Bullshit.

• sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Or “Mierda”, as a certain Marlins’ license plates says.

5. windycity0301 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

DISCLAIMER, I did not see the game nor the pitch or pitches leading up to the HBP… however, I will play devils advocate. Many of us on here have probably pitched competitively at some point. Sometimes, you get frustrated, lose focus, a ball slips gets away from you and someone gets hit. And, everytime it did with me, I felt bad about hitting that player… had no interest in hitting anyone but it happened. So, its possible he really is sorry about that. Then again, he could be a giant douche that takes out his frustrations on opposing batters in a violent way, I’ve been wrong before.

• djpostl - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Considering he just came off a suspension for doing the exact same thing (gave up a HR to someone and next pitch went right by head of batter)…we’ll go with “he could be a giant douche that takes out his frustrations on opposing batters in a violent way” lol.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I tend to believe the Giant Douche theory.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

BUT does he have a shot at ‘Biggest Douche in the Universe’?

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It happened immedately after Robby Cano hit yet another Home Run, next pitch in fact. So you still want to say it was an “accident”? And I am an Indians fan here, so even I have to say it was no accident.

The only thing that bothered me about that was the umpire ejected him out of the game, without any warning, but perhaps now it’s due to reputation? That’s not good to have.

• surefooted1 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM

That’s how it should be. Warning both benches AFTER a pitcher hits a player in clear retaliation is bullshit as it clearly is more advantages to hit a player first.

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

So you’re saying no pitcher should ever hit another player?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Here’s the video*. And copying from what I wrote last night:
      up and around the head, immediately after a HR AND he just got done serving a suspension for hitting a batter?

*http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26142767&c_id=mlb

• dowhatifeellike - Apr 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I had a whole season in high school where I struggled with control. Seemed like every inside pitch had a batter duck their head into it. (Some actually did.)

That said, a guy struggling with control isn’t hitting guys after HRs; he’s hitting them in 1-1 counts or 0-2 counts, trying to finish a guy off. I’m not saying this couldn’t have been an accident… but the odds are slim.

6. romoscollarbone - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

He definitely hit him on purpose. Cano just belted a 2R HR and he came in high and tight on Youk.

However the best part of all of this, is that the Ump threw him a new baseball and then ran him. One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3927)