Apr 10, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT
David Ortiz continues to make steady recent progress in his recovery from heel inflammation.
According to beat writer Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the veteran designated hitter is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment on Thursday at Triple-A Pawtucket and is on track to be activated from the 15-day disabled list on April 19.
Ortiz has been playing in extended spring training games for the past few days in south Florida and should be cleared for major league action after making around 20-30 minor league at-bats.
The 37-year-old hit .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers and 60 RBI in 90 games last season. Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes have been getting most of the playing time at designated hitter in Big Papi’s absence.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)