Apr 10, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT
David Ortiz continues to make steady recent progress in his recovery from heel inflammation.
According to beat writer Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the veteran designated hitter is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment on Thursday at Triple-A Pawtucket and is on track to be activated from the 15-day disabled list on April 19.
Ortiz has been playing in extended spring training games for the past few days in south Florida and should be cleared for major league action after making around 20-30 minor league at-bats.
The 37-year-old hit .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers and 60 RBI in 90 games last season. Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes have been getting most of the playing time at designated hitter in Big Papi’s absence.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)