Fenway Park sellout streak ends at 794 games

Apr 10, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT

From beat writer Sean McAdam of CSN New England:

“We know that part of the reason it’s over is because we failed last year,” Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington told reporters before Wednesday night’s game against the visiting Orioles. “So we take that on us and take responsibility for that. Hopefully the focus of this is a remarkable run for our team and our fans. I remember a lot of pretty miserable, cold April rainy nights everyone sat through. For it to last as long as it did is amazing. So it’s on us to make sure the place is filled and start a new one at some point.”

We’ve noted many times before on this blog that the sellout streak was helped along by ticket giveaways and clever attendance-reporting tactics. So it’s probably for the best that it’s finally being put to bed.

The Red Sox enter play Wednesday with a 5-2 record — good for first place in the AL East.

1. kjericho43 - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I am so gonna lie back and cry myself to sleep tonight. Maybe light some candles and eat some Ben and Jerrys before I hit the sack. This really sucks.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I hope you stayed up for the 9th inning. That was fun.

• sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

8th was nice…

2. yankeepunk3000 - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM

when you say clever attendance reporting…what do you mean? did they simply just lie? Did the owner just buy the remaining tickets and said that counts???? I need to know the details people I’m a very busy man!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM

THEY TOLD FIBS (also known as white lies)!

• oldpaddy - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Canada, in the us we call that Canadian pillow talk.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

LOL! You made that up old timer.

• ras1tafari - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM

A sell out to the Red Sox is when all the tickets are sold. They aren’t watching the gates. when the secondary market purchases tickets, those are “people in attendence”. Or where.

3. proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Besides the “help” that papered the streak, Fenway does not have a large seating capacity.

4. pinkfloydprism - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

The sellout streak ended long ago…now the giving free tickets away streak ended today. Sucks when you can’t even give tickets away.

• badintent - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM

How true. This all Bobby Valentine’s fault of course. GM Ben said so.

5. bat42boy - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Isn’t that a shame!! No sympathy from me.

6. oldpaddy - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

One year ago I bet this would have been considered a sell out.
    PR dept must have decided the end of the streak was good damage control.

This ownership has done many great things, but they are as slimy as politicians.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Yep!

7. steelers88 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I know the Red Sox sucked last year but they are what 6-2 this year and in 1st place! I wish my team was in 1st place.
    Signed: A Pirates Fan

• historiophiliac - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Maybe you need to organize a fake sellout streak then.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Off topic, but I have to tell you that I really like the bullpen of the Tigers especially Villarreal.

• historiophiliac - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Uh, oh. Something bad must be about to happen. I’m watching the game now. I liked the 5th, but maybe the 7th won’t end so well…

• proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM

He wasn’t that bad. He faced the heart of the Jays lineup and did not give up a hit.

• historiophiliac - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

You mean, it basically replayed the 5th only the sides switched. :(

• proudlycanadian - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I must keep you in suspense.

• historiophiliac - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I’m guessing you weren’t crazy for Coke.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I am not crazy for any type of Coke.

• historiophiliac - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I enjoyed yesterday’s game much better.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:23 AM

There may not be a Thursday game if the weather is bad.

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM

That stinks. We have to settle this tie. Grrrrrr!

• oldpaddy - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Thanks canada for giving me an opening.

I have no confidence in dempster. I’ve never seen a guy who racks up so many k’s while looking so shaky.

Every time I see ellsbury coming within 10′ of another fielder I expect him to stop and drop. He looks like he ptsd.

• oldpaddy - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I see Nancy drews brother is wearing the same number, can I call him Nancy too?

8. ras1tafari - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

NESN said it’s 820 games.

• uyf1950 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

That 820 includes the postseason. It’s 794 during the regular season.

9. hojo20 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Their “distribution” streak ended today. Their sellout streak ended a long time ago.

10. uyf1950 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

The Red Sox ownership/Management finally got religion. They realized the PR backlash wasn’t worth keeping up the facade.

11. giantssb42champs - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Belichick was somehow involved in this steak . I just know it.

12. Bar None - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Somehow this is Francona’s fault.

13. dirtydrew - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Even Jimmy Fallon missed the game…tragic.

14. mungman69 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Oh hell, just play ball.

15. 18thstreet - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I think it’s a shame that the ownership marred what was surely a real and impressive streak by exaggerating it so blatantly. The Red Sox sold lots and lots of tickets (and will continue to do so) to locals, to tourists, and to fans of other teams who live reasonably close to the Fens. (The last one is an example of an advantage that Fenway has over, say, Minute Maid Park.)

Boston is not a gigantic city. Memphis and El Paso and Columbus are bigger. Traffic is a nightmare. Parking is expensive and hard to find. And yet, the park is mostly full night after night after night.

It’s a popular team playing in a classic park with a small capacity. They legitimately sell out all the time. Rest in peace, fake sellout streak.

• lessick - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Metro size is far more relevant than city size. Boston is the 7th largest TV market, ahead of Atlanta and Houston.

• 18thstreet - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM

No one said Boston is a small city. But Boston’s metro area is 10th, which is a more relevant number that TV area. Cape Cod is a long, long drive to Fenway. I think most of New Hampshire is part of the Boston TV market, but you’d be crazy to commute from Concord to Boston.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3196)