Apr 10, 2013, 5:33 PM EST
Kauffman Stadium turns 40 years-old today. It’s a wonderful ballpark. Even more wonderful when one takes into account the time it was built. In the late 60s and early 70s places like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati — following the example of Washington and Atlanta — were going with multi-use stadiums. Places which could house both football and baseball, but which were pretty poor venues for both. Way worse for baseball, in my view.
Thankfully Kansas City built separate places for both the Royals and the Chiefs. It really resulted in two great venues. They’re both beautiful and, when the teams are good, exciting and fun places to see games. Amazing what happens when you let form follow function.
But it didn’t have to be that way. In fact, the city fathers of Kansas City once proposed a mighty dome for the Chiefs and Royals. And Royals Review has the story, along with some cool renderings.
Of course the renderings of these things are always cool. How much ya wanna bet that a real dome built in KC back then — complete in its multi-use glory — would be sub-Tropicana Field awful today. It it even survived the 80s.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)