Apr 10, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Stephen Drew‘s return from a concussion meant that Jose Iglesias was out of a starting job and rather than keep the 23-year-old around as a bench player the Red Sox decided to send him back to Triple-A for regular playing time.
Boston also placed John Lackey on the disabled list, which was expected after he exited Saturday’s start with what appeared to be a serious arm injury and was later diagnosed as “only” a strained biceps. Either way, he’ll miss at least a few starts and Alfredo Aceves has been moved from the bullpen to the rotation to fill in.
Alex Wilson, who was the Red Sox’s second-round pick in 2009, will make his big-league debut after being called up to provide some bullpen depth.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)