Apr 10, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Stephen Drew‘s return from a concussion meant that Jose Iglesias was out of a starting job and rather than keep the 23-year-old around as a bench player the Red Sox decided to send him back to Triple-A for regular playing time.
Boston also placed John Lackey on the disabled list, which was expected after he exited Saturday’s start with what appeared to be a serious arm injury and was later diagnosed as “only” a strained biceps. Either way, he’ll miss at least a few starts and Alfredo Aceves has been moved from the bullpen to the rotation to fill in.
Alex Wilson, who was the Red Sox’s second-round pick in 2009, will make his big-league debut after being called up to provide some bullpen depth.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)