Apr 10, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
Yeah, but new walls or not, it’s hard to slow down offensive juggernauts like the Astros and Mariners possess.
In the second game in Safeco since the walls were brought in, those two teams combined for eight homers in a 16-9 Houston victory. Here’s the list:
All three of Seattle’s came after Erik Bedard departed and new callup Paul Clemens came on. Clemens had a 5.78 ERA and allowed 23 homers in 143 1/3 innings in the minors last year, so his getting tattooed shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The homers were the first for Bay and Ibanez this year. Morse is tied for the major league lead with six.
The Astros, on the other hand, had totaled two homers in seven games this season before going deep five times tonight. They homered three times off Kameron Loe, once off Charlie Furbush and once off Oliver Perez.
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that it’s the third time there have been as many as eight homers hit in Safeco. There were nine hit there twice in 2004.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12