Apr 10, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
Yeah, but new walls or not, it’s hard to slow down offensive juggernauts like the Astros and Mariners possess.
In the second game in Safeco since the walls were brought in, those two teams combined for eight homers in a 16-9 Houston victory. Here’s the list:
All three of Seattle’s came after Erik Bedard departed and new callup Paul Clemens came on. Clemens had a 5.78 ERA and allowed 23 homers in 143 1/3 innings in the minors last year, so his getting tattooed shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The homers were the first for Bay and Ibanez this year. Morse is tied for the major league lead with six.
The Astros, on the other hand, had totaled two homers in seven games this season before going deep five times tonight. They homered three times off Kameron Loe, once off Charlie Furbush and once off Oliver Perez.
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that it’s the third time there have been as many as eight homers hit in Safeco. There were nine hit there twice in 2004.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (158)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)