Apr 10, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Wait … he’s not an Upton. I don’t understand:
The Braves have acquired veteran RHP Luis Ayala from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for minor league LHP Chris Jones.
— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) April 10, 2013
Apparently the impetus for this is that the Orioles need to free up roster space for Chris Dickerson or some such. Good for them. The Braves, though, are getting a more-than-servicable bullpen arm in Ayala. He posted a 2.64 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio over 75 innings last season and will help with depth due to the Braves losing Jonny Venters for seemingly ever.
Chris Jones has had some good years in the lower levels, but usually after repeating them. He’s in his second year in Double-A, but he’s organizational depth at best at the moment.
Oh well. Viva roster space.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)