Apr 10, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Wait … he’s not an Upton. I don’t understand:
The Braves have acquired veteran RHP Luis Ayala from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for minor league LHP Chris Jones.
— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) April 10, 2013
Apparently the impetus for this is that the Orioles need to free up roster space for Chris Dickerson or some such. Good for them. The Braves, though, are getting a more-than-servicable bullpen arm in Ayala. He posted a 2.64 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio over 75 innings last season and will help with depth due to the Braves losing Jonny Venters for seemingly ever.
Chris Jones has had some good years in the lower levels, but usually after repeating them. He’s in his second year in Double-A, but he’s organizational depth at best at the moment.
Oh well. Viva roster space.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)