Apr 11, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
The Blue Jays are off to a disappointing 3-6 start, but they should get a boost in their lineup soon.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Brett Lawrie went 2-for-2 with two doubles and a walk today in an extended spring training game. It was his first game action since he suffered a left oblique strain in early March.
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said earlier this week that Lawrie will need at least 20 at-bats in the minors before being activated, so he’ll likely need to get a few more games under his belt. He could return as soon as next weekend against the Yankees if all goes well.
Lawrie, 23, batted .273/.324/.405 with 11 home runs, 48 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .729 OPS in 125 games last season. Mark DeRosa and Maicer Izturis have been splitting time at third base during his absence.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)