Apr 11, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
The Blue Jays are off to a disappointing 3-6 start, but they should get a boost in their lineup soon.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Brett Lawrie went 2-for-2 with two doubles and a walk today in an extended spring training game. It was his first game action since he suffered a left oblique strain in early March.
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said earlier this week that Lawrie will need at least 20 at-bats in the minors before being activated, so he’ll likely need to get a few more games under his belt. He could return as soon as next weekend against the Yankees if all goes well.
Lawrie, 23, batted .273/.324/.405 with 11 home runs, 48 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .729 OPS in 125 games last season. Mark DeRosa and Maicer Izturis have been splitting time at third base during his absence.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)