Apr 11, 2013, 8:03 PM EST
The Blue Jays are off to a disappointing 3-6 start, but they should get a boost in their lineup soon.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Brett Lawrie went 2-for-2 with two doubles and a walk today in an extended spring training game. It was his first game action since he suffered a left oblique strain in early March.
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said earlier this week that Lawrie will need at least 20 at-bats in the minors before being activated, so he’ll likely need to get a few more games under his belt. He could return as soon as next weekend against the Yankees if all goes well.
Lawrie, 23, batted .273/.324/.405 with 11 home runs, 48 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .729 OPS in 125 games last season. Mark DeRosa and Maicer Izturis have been splitting time at third base during his absence.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (135)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)