Apr 11, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
The Blue Jays are off to a disappointing 3-6 start, but they should get a boost in their lineup soon.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Brett Lawrie went 2-for-2 with two doubles and a walk today in an extended spring training game. It was his first game action since he suffered a left oblique strain in early March.
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said earlier this week that Lawrie will need at least 20 at-bats in the minors before being activated, so he’ll likely need to get a few more games under his belt. He could return as soon as next weekend against the Yankees if all goes well.
Lawrie, 23, batted .273/.324/.405 with 11 home runs, 48 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .729 OPS in 125 games last season. Mark DeRosa and Maicer Izturis have been splitting time at third base during his absence.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 1
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 22
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)