Apr 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Chase Headley‘s fractured thumb feels good enough that he was able to take batting practice yesterday from both sides of the plate and Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the Padres third baseman could be cleared for a minor-league rehab assignment as soon as this weekend.
Headley was initially given a 4-6 week recovery timetable on March 17, so he’s definitely on or maybe even a little ahead of schedule assuming the Padres don’t think he’d need a lengthy rehab stint. Headley told Brock that he’d like to play 4-7 games before coming off the disabled list, which could mean a return to the Padres’ lineup by the end of next week.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (116)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)