Apr 11, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Darwin Barney began the season on the disabled list after slicing open his knee chasing a foul ball in the final spring training game, but the Cubs second baseman is almost ready to make his 2013 debut.
Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago reports that Barney will get the stitches removed Friday and then begin a minor-league rehab assignment over the weekend, setting him up to come off the disabled list Tuesday against the Rangers.
Brent Lillibridge and Alberto Gonzalez have split time evenly at second base in place of Barney, who won a Gold Glove last season while hitting .254 with seven homers and a .653 OPS in 156 games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (171)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)