Apr 11, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Darwin Barney began the season on the disabled list after slicing open his knee chasing a foul ball in the final spring training game, but the Cubs second baseman is almost ready to make his 2013 debut.
Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago reports that Barney will get the stitches removed Friday and then begin a minor-league rehab assignment over the weekend, setting him up to come off the disabled list Tuesday against the Rangers.
Brent Lillibridge and Alberto Gonzalez have split time evenly at second base in place of Barney, who won a Gold Glove last season while hitting .254 with seven homers and a .653 OPS in 156 games.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)