Apr 11, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Darwin Barney began the season on the disabled list after slicing open his knee chasing a foul ball in the final spring training game, but the Cubs second baseman is almost ready to make his 2013 debut.
Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago reports that Barney will get the stitches removed Friday and then begin a minor-league rehab assignment over the weekend, setting him up to come off the disabled list Tuesday against the Rangers.
Brent Lillibridge and Alberto Gonzalez have split time evenly at second base in place of Barney, who won a Gold Glove last season while hitting .254 with seven homers and a .653 OPS in 156 games.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)