Apr 11, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Ortiz struck out swinging in his first at-bat, but reached on a hard-hit single up the middle in the third inning and later delivered an RBI single through the shift in the fifth. The veteran slugger faced his biggest test of the night when he ran from first to third on a double, but fortunately for the Red Sox, he didn’t have any issues with his heel.
Ortiz is expected to need a minimum of 20 at-bats in the minors before he’s activated. Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that it’s possible he could be ready to play in a series against the Indians next week, but the Red Sox could wait until they return home next Friday to begin a series against the Royals.
Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava have split at-bats out of the DH spot during the early part of the season, but Ortiz’s return will push them out to left field. Jackie Bradley, Jr. has received most of the playing time there so far, but it’s likely he’ll soon be headed to the minors.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8