Apr 11, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Gary Sheffield has a nephew, Jordan Sheffield, who’s a high school pitcher in Tennessee and top-50 draft prospect. Or at least he was.
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports that Sheffield needs Tommy John elbow surgery that will end his high school career and may cause him to play college ball at Vanderbilt rather than potentially falling way down in the draft.
Of course, going to school at Vanderbilt for a few years isn’t such a bad thing and Mayo notes that some teams considered Sheffield a “tough sign” even before the injury because they expected him to go to college.
Last year the Nationals took Lucas Giolito with the No. 16 pick even though he was sidelined by an elbow injury at the time and he later needed Tommy John surgery.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)