Apr 11, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Gary Sheffield has a nephew, Jordan Sheffield, who’s a high school pitcher in Tennessee and top-50 draft prospect. Or at least he was.
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports that Sheffield needs Tommy John elbow surgery that will end his high school career and may cause him to play college ball at Vanderbilt rather than potentially falling way down in the draft.
Of course, going to school at Vanderbilt for a few years isn’t such a bad thing and Mayo notes that some teams considered Sheffield a “tough sign” even before the injury because they expected him to go to college.
Last year the Nationals took Lucas Giolito with the No. 16 pick even though he was sidelined by an elbow injury at the time and he later needed Tommy John surgery.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)