Apr 11, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Gary Sheffield has a nephew, Jordan Sheffield, who’s a high school pitcher in Tennessee and top-50 draft prospect. Or at least he was.
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports that Sheffield needs Tommy John elbow surgery that will end his high school career and may cause him to play college ball at Vanderbilt rather than potentially falling way down in the draft.
Of course, going to school at Vanderbilt for a few years isn’t such a bad thing and Mayo notes that some teams considered Sheffield a “tough sign” even before the injury because they expected him to go to college.
Last year the Nationals took Lucas Giolito with the No. 16 pick even though he was sidelined by an elbow injury at the time and he later needed Tommy John surgery.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)