It’s pronounced “loo-EES ah-pa-REE-see-oh”

Apr 11, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

72825123RPA009_LuisAparicio

Sometimes — but not all the time — you can find pronunciation guides for ballplayers’ names in press boxes.  And I know that ESPN.com used to do that on player stat pages, though I don’t think they do it anymore.  Those things are handy when you can find them. Especially if, like me, you end up consuming most of your baseball information online and don’t often hear some players’ names pronounced.

But now such a thing is available — for many players anyway — at The ‘Lancer.

Not exhaustive, but if you just never knew how to pronounce Jim Dyck’s name — and if you didn’t want to chance it — this site is for you.  Otherwise, it’s a fun time-killer.

1. heyblueyoustink - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Felix Pie

2. tfbuckfutter - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

ESPN used to list pronunciations (they may still, I wouldn’t know having not been to the site in years) in the Player Profiles.

That said:

“Poo-holes”

• The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Technically, it said “POO-holes”. But yeah, it was great.

3. tmohr - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

“No, no, no – it’s spelled ‘Raymond Luxury-Yacht’, but it’s pronounced ‘Throatwobbler Mangrove.”

4. paperlions - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Harry Cary used to pronounce Joaquin Andujar’s name “Jock-in And-oo-jar”. I also remember “George” (Jorge) Orta from my youth.

• mrstpaul - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It was fun to hear Harry say “Jose Vizcaino” after three or four innings (and at least as many Budwesiers).

• chumthumper - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Dizzy Dean used to butcher a lot of names, but still fun to listen to. (Yeah, I’m that old.) Who can forget Jue-lee-n Jah-vee-air.

5. qcubed3 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Jedd Gyorko anyone?

Gee-YOR-ko?

GYOR-ko?

JEE-or-ko

fuggitabowtit . . . . I give up

• paperlions - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Isn’t it pronounced, “Jerk-o”?

• qcubed3 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Thank you!

• The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

JERK-o. At least, if the NY radio announcers are to be believed (that’s the only place I’ve heard it pronounced so far).

• paperlions - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

That is what I have heard as well, like you….I thought it was too good to be true, but I’ve heard it multiple places now.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting a NY radio guy on pronunciation would be like me saying I only ever heard Johnny Most say this guy’s name but I can’t find him on Google – Wobba PA-wish.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

How long until people get it right on the greatest closer of all time. It ain’t the same as the Gilligan’s Island castaway…

Mary ANN-o? Murray AHno? Eff it, he’s Mo’

7. gloccamorra - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Way back in olden times, in the last century, people who watched on TV or listened on the radio knew the pronunciation because they could hear the PA announcer’s voice over play by play guys. The Baltimore announcer had a distinctive way of announcing Aparicio’s at-bat. Today you can barely hear the crowd, it’s like the broadcast booth is hermetically sealed – or are they using high tech to suppress that background “noise”? We wouldn’t want to miss a single syllable of the play by play man’s sonorous voice, would we?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)