Jorge Soler still has nothing on Izzy Alcantara

Apr 11, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT

Izzy Alcantara

Sure, Jorge Soler took bat in hand and went after the opposing team’s dugout in Single-A Daytona’s game last night. But that was still mostly spur of the moment. Not a lot of foresight involved. He didn’t think things through. Not like Izzy Alcantara.

And then, of course, there’s current Tigers broadcaster Rod Allen chasing after a pitcher during his playing days in Japan.

My other favorite: a 300-pound Juan Diaz deciding to charge the mound after getting hit by a sidearmer on a 2-2 pitch in an indy league game. Enjoy and feel free to post some more in the comments.

1. randygnyc - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Izzy was genius. He wanted a piece of the pitcher and didn’t want the catcher stopping him from behind.

• hittfamily - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I laughed and laughed at that when it happened. I played college ball the with catcher, Jeremy Salazar. A lot of us got a “kick” out of that one.

2. randygnyc - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

And at 1:16 of the Diaz fight, some lucky player gets flipped like a flap jack. Outstanding.

3. cur68 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Man, Rod Allen galloping after that skinny Japanese pitcher was at once horrifying and hilarious. I feel for that pitcher. Man was running for his life. He was terrified. Terrified unto the point of crapping himself. I’d be the same way, I imagine. If Rod Allen were chasing me down, I’d run like a mo-fo. I imagine I’d run away like I imagine I’d run away if a grizzly bear were after me. I’d crap myself and run away. It’d have to chase me through a 1m trail of my feces if wanted a piece of me. Rod Allen, same thing. I’m sure a part of me would be ashamed. But there’d be another part of me thinking “Run through THAT!”

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Have some dignity, beaver. It’s not a porcupine OR a HBPiD, and you’re turning it into the Shitting Fields.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Dignity my hairy black ass. I’d run like the wind. The wind, I tell you!
        /pops beano. smirks

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

You are all about the mental images on this one.

4. gerryb323 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

• gerryb323 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Skip to 43 seconds or so for the actual event.

• hittfamily - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Um. Yeah. I think we are all pretty familiar with this clip.

• gerryb323 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Sorry, I didn’t realize they were supposed to be completely random things that no one has ever heard of before.

• theskinsman - Apr 12, 2013 at 5:27 AM

gerry, yanks fans don’t like it when you show Roidrage throwing broken bat,and Piazza doing nothing about it…oh,yeah,and the umps didn’t notice because ,well,it wasn’t like it was in front of any of them. Nothing to see here.

• Cereal - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM

yeah we all know the Rocket is a jerk

5. gerryb323 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Also not to be forgotten: Trot Nixon’s bat “slipping” and flying towards Ryan Rupe. Can’t find a video online anywhere though.

6. nghtrder169 - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Lol…Izzy was genius

7. c0justin - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

….and this is why we need a comments section!

8. dondada10 - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Here’s one with some star power.

9. hushbrother - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Jose Offerman swung a bat at an opponent in an independent league game on Long Island a few years ago, because apparently he wanted to get sued for every last penny he made in the major leagues.

10. hushbrother - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Yeah, at 1:16 that guy got dwarf tossed.

11. vallewho - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That kick was awesome. Should be taught at every baseball level to ward off catchers (wearing protection) that always want to stick themselves in the middle.

12. misterj167 - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:51 AM

There aren’t any (decent) videos of it on YouTube that I could find, but the Braves-Padres brawl in 1984, which was actually three or four brawls over several innings in the same game and included fans and arrests, was the best one I ever saw…Braves pitcher Pasqual Perez plunked the first batter in the game then was thrown at every time he came to the plate. Numerous ejections of players and two managers for the Padres…

13. Cereal - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM