Jorge Soler suspended five games for bat-wielding incident

Apr 11, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT

Jorge Soler AP

Cubs prospect Jorge Soler has been suspended five games by the Florida State League following last night’s incident in which he grabbed a bat and went after the opposing team’s dugout.

Soler was dragged away by coaches before any physical contact was made and the whole thing followed the benches clearing after Soler and an infielder got tangled up at second base.

Team president Theo Epstein addressed the situation shortly before the suspension was handed down, telling reporters that Soler is “tremendously remorseful” and the Cubs “condemn the action but support the player.”

Soler, who defected from Cuba last year at age 20, signed a nine-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs and has hit .318 with seven homers and an .895 OPS in 40 pro games.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

this aint cuba you nut! Its America..and the minors at that…we cant have people FREAKIN out mannnnnnnnnn

2. ryanrockzzz - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

He was just trying to show the Phillies prospects what a bat was, and how to use it.

• Last Road Reviews - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Haha great reply!

3. blacksables - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM

So threatening a dugout with a bat, but not actually swinging at anyone carries the same penalty as hitting an umpire with a thrown helmet after during a hissy fit?

Strange days, indeed.

• blacksables - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM

That exchange rate really sucks.

4. mattwithanh - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM

He should have got drunk, got in a car, and driven toward the opposing dugout and avoided any chance at suspension.

5. thomas844 - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Taking an amphetamine = 50 game suspension
    Threatening people with a baseball bat = 5 game suspension

Makes perfect sense, right?

6. clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Wait, only 5 games? I thought I read in the other thread that he murdered someone?

• hittfamily - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM

No, but I said he had murder in his heart. I have had a gun pulled on me. In Florida, you get 10 years for that. Apparently, if he would have threatened me with a baseball bat instead, he would only be put in timeout.

Weak suspension. 1000 people saw a man with a weapon attempting to do serious bodily harm to others. His homies held him back, but his homies may not always be around. This guy is destined for trouble. MLB got this wrong. Daytona PD got this wrong.

• clydeserra - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

there are a few, to be generous, proof problems with your criminal investigation.

Even if we take this out of the professional sports context, it would be tough to get him on anything. Maybe, maybe brandishing a weapon, maybe disturbing the peace, but that is about it.

Sorry for the snark, just making a joke, but in seriousness in courts, this is nothing. trust me.

• hittfamily - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It sounds like no one is taking this very seriously. If anyone ever comes at me with a bat, screaming in a language I don’t understand, I hope the police intervene. If they don’t, one of us likely will not survive.

I have lived in this country for 34 years. I played organized baseball for 22 years, including 4 in college. Never once have I ever been tempted to strike someone with a baseball bat. You would have to attack a family member for me to even be tempted to strike another human being with a baseball bat. This schmuck does it within his first 40 games, because his pinky toe got stepped on! Arrest him, suspend him, deport him. At least get him the fuck out of Florida before he kills one of my neighbors.

• badintent - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I had a liquor store owner client that got almost killed by an assailant with a baseball bat. The attacker had just been out of jail for 2 weeks after doing 10 years in jail for the Exact same crime !! My client suffered brain damage and was never the same.
        Deport this clown back to Cuba, they have a wall waiting for him..

7. woodenulykteneau - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

“In retrospect,” Epstein said, ” The decision to have Jose Offerman be his mentor proved to be a mistake.”

8. 13arod - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

i go to daytona cubs games and glad i didn’t go yesturday

9. andyreidisfat - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

How can an MLB team be able to sign a deal like that. That’s really not fair to the player. Of he turns out to be great(it looks like he is on his way) then 4 the last 5 years of this deal he is going to be way under paid. Being able to sign a kid coming from crazy poverty to a deal like that is taking advantage of the kids situation. I do get the team took a risk as well, but still deals like this are very suspect to me. Not to mention these kids don’t have to enter into a draft which is the biggest joke of all.

Even as a fan of a team that has and will have the ability to spend big if they so choose to snatch up foreign players, I still think every player should not be able to come into MLB with our entering the draft, just like all the other major sports

• hittfamily - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Not having to enter the MLB draft is VERY beneficial to him. If he was George Soler from Miami, he gets a 5 million dollar signing bonus. Because he is Jorge from Havana, he gets a massive contract.

I agree about the draft. It hurts Americans too. The Cubs can sign 14 year old in the Dominican for $500. That is why there are so many latinos in the game. It has nothing to do with the superiority of the race. It is because they quit school, and teams pay them pennies a day to play baseball.

• cubfan531 - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:08 AM

There are clauses in his contract that allow Soler to opt for arbitration and possibly free agency if he so chooses at the time. As it stands, he could stall out in AA, and have made $30 MILLION in the process.

Do explain how that’d be unfair.

10. rightinthelumberyard - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The only reason for a draft is to save the owners money. I am not sure why anyone who is not an owner would actively advocate for the owner’s position.

I am trying to think of a joke to incorporate the goat’s head and Ricketts and Soler into, but not coming up with anything quickly. Maybe I will come up with something, but in the meantime, maybe Jay-Z will be the agent for Soler and Soler will be a tour guide for J.

• cubfan531 - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM

The way the draft is currently structured with hard bonus caps is very much a way to save owners money. That said, I do believe the draft does serve a purpose, in that no team can simply go out and get the best amateurs year after year.

And, sure, you could argue that a team can do that in the Dominican, but there’s a difference between scouting a 21 year old college pitcher who already throws 97 deep into a ballgame than a 16 year old kid in the Dominican hitting 85 playing stickball and praying for projection.

11. manchestermiracle - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

The Padres are looking to trade for him…

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS