Apr 11, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Soler was dragged away by coaches before any physical contact was made and the whole thing followed the benches clearing after Soler and an infielder got tangled up at second base.
Team president Theo Epstein addressed the situation shortly before the suspension was handed down, telling reporters that Soler is “tremendously remorseful” and the Cubs “condemn the action but support the player.”
Soler, who defected from Cuba last year at age 20, signed a nine-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs and has hit .318 with seven homers and an .895 OPS in 40 pro games.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59