Mariano Rivera is better than me. Better than you. Better than all of us.

Apr 11, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT

Mariano Rivera AP

The Wall Street Journal reports on the unique nature of Mariano Rivera‘s farewell tour. Rather than going to each park and letting people make him feel special and honored, he’s connecting with the unknown and unsung in each park to let them know how much he appreciates their contributions:

When Rivera decided to retire, he announced that in each ballpark, he wanted to meet people behind the scenes—employees or fans or people connected to the game who don’t get to tell their stories. He has spent a lifetime in the spotlight, the solitary figure in the middle of the mound. But as his baseball career enters his final months, Rivera has found pleasure in quiet moments with everyday people who perform the often thankless jobs of the baseball world.

Like, stadium employees. Or, in the example that kicks off the article, the guy who beats the drum at Indians games.  And Rivera praises that guy rather than takes his drumsticks away and threatens violence, which is more than I could do the time I met him.

There are people who have spent 20 years trying to find things to hate about the Yankees. And if you’re determined to do that kind of thing it’s not really that hard. But I’ll be damned if anyone can say a bad thing about Mariano Rivera. I’ve literally heard nothing bad about the guy ever. And this kind of thing makes you think like such a thing would be an impossibility.

1. chacochicken - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Maybe MLB should create a committee to figure out how to replace him. But then, I think Mo is irreplaceable.

2. jonrox - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Better than *I*

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don’t think Mariano would appreciate you using this article to correct someone’s grammar…or maybe he would- who the hell knows?

• dondada10 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Fail. The sentence is question is found in the title: “Mariano Rivera is better than me.”

“I” is a subject pronoun, where as “me” is an object pronoun. Seing how the subject of the sentence is “Mariano Rivera”, Craig correctly used an object pronoun–me.

• kehnn13 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Sorry, I wouldn’t have commented on the article title myself, but your correction of Jon’s correction is incorrect.

• indaburg - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Jonrox is technically correct, but the self-appointed grammar police is annoying. In conversational English, “better than me” is fine. Craig is not writing a thesis.

• abaird2012 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Is they?

• jonrox - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Rivera is better than me is/am
      vs.
      Rivera is better than I am

• dondada10 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Jon, the sentence in question is “Mariano Rivera is better than me.” You said it should read “Mariano Rivera is better than I.”

Should the last sentence of the title read, “He is better than all of we.”? No, it shouldn’t because we is a subject pronoun and us is an object pronoun.

Consiquently, me is correct because it is an object pronoun.

• zzalapski - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Do you see the word “am” in the title sentence? No? Okay, then.

• jonrox - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Just because he left out the rest of the implied sentence (perfectly acceptable!) doesn’t mean it doesn’t count. “Rivera is better [at life] than Jonrox [is at life]” is the implied sentence. Once you start looking at subject vs. object pronoun when replacing the second person, your inclinations break down. The real debate is preposition vs. conjunction for the word “than”, and the historical usage suggests “than I” is preferable in a formal sense than is “than me.”
        See, e.g.:

• buddaley - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Dondada, I kind of agree with you in spirit as I think the effort to correct “me” is, in this case, pedantic. But your example does not work because the “we” in your example should be “us” as it is the object in a prepositional phrase (“of us”). There is no prepositional phrase in the original statement unless you want to claim that “than” is a preposition, which it is not. (I think it is a conjunction in this sentence.) The word “am” is implied. (“He is better than I am” or “He pitches better than I do.”)

Nonetheless, while I do object to some grammatical errors, not only does common usage make this one acceptable, but in the context of this venue, you could argue that “me” is the better word.

• nobody78 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

jonrox is right. “Than” is an appositive, not a preposition, so it doesn’t take the objective case.

(No, I don’t have a girlfriend. Why do you ask?)

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM

There you go, Gator. There’s your singles bar name: The Grammarian or Grammarama or Grammar Hole…

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Think Mo would get on HBT and thank the Grammar Cops, too? Sheesh.

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’m going to start enforcing American grammar!

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Oh, just sing “Dog Bless America”, or whatever it is, like you used to do. I always loved the thumbs up you’d get on those. Especially when you’d sneak “Jobu” in there. The “whoosh” as it went over people’s heads was so pleasant.

3. Jeremy T - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

It is going to be so much more difficult to be a Yankee fan once he and, to a lesser extent, Jeter and Pettite retire. I can only hope that some new young guys come up through the system with half the amount of class those guys have shown.

4. deathmonkey41 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

So, maybe John Lackey is like the Mariano Rivera from the Bizzaro World then?

• natstowngreg - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Or, the Evil Mr. Spock, with the beard.

5. sabatimus - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Anything you can do, I can do better; I can do anything better than you.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Nanna Nanna Boo Boo stick your head in Doo Doo.

• jerze2387 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM

No, you Cant!

6. number42is1 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

September 15th 2013. Mark it down in your calendars folks. that will (potentially) be the last time that Mo gets to pitch in Fenway and i will bet you $1,000 that if the season plays out that way and it is his last game there he will get a standing ovation from the Fenway crowd on that day regardless of the outcome of the game. THAT will be the day that the greatness of Mariano Rivera will truly shine through because if you can stand in your most bitter enemy’s house on THEIR field and receive a send off like they will give him, there is truly nothing better.

• 18thstreet - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Fenway gave Joe Torre an ovation on his first game back after his cancer-related absence. I think things will play out exactly the way 42 described it.

7. indaburg - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

What’s not to love about this guy?

8. beefytrout - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Everything I’ve ever read about the guy, there’s no question that whoever does not vote for him for the HOF deserves a steady dose of roundhouse kicks to the balls.

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Maybe not a roundhouse kick, although that would work if your intended target was perpendicular to you. If he’s straight-on, go with a simple front snap kick – that should lift him 6 inches off the ground quite nicely! Then, when he lands, do it once more, and harder…

9. Old Gator - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

There’s nothing hard about finding bad things to say about Mariano Rivera. The guy is totally unfair to mortal hitters.

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

The weird part of your second sentence, Gator, is that there’s actually a stealth “Atlas Shrugged” joke hidden in there, like an Easter Egg. Well played…

10. carbydrash - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

“But I’ll be damned if anyone can say a bad thing about Mariano Rivera.”

I got something! He’s fucking creepy in those weird Acura ads he does. For those who don’t like in the NYC area, let me explain. There is an advertisement for a local Acura dealership featuring Rivera. The premise of the ad is that a couple is buying a car and the dealer is showing it to them. For no apparent reason, Mariano Rivera is standing behind them, clearly very confortable, smiling the entire time.

That’s it…he does nothing else. His entire role in the ad is to stand behind the dealer and creepily smile at the couple, as though he is taking a car salesman apprenticeship and the salesman is “showing him how it’s done”.

Awful, awful ad.

• awesomenar - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

must buy acura mdx…

11. Professor Longnose - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Plus he never clips his toenails in the office.

12. moogro - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

“I am not ready to vote him into the HOF this year. But I will be ready next year.”
    Huh? Maybe that’s another year of probation to see if he angrily throws his golf club into the woods or something.

13. number42is1 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM

outside of all the obvious Mo on the mound moments this is probably the best one ever. watch him in the background

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Ok. That made me laugh. Like, a lot. I got a real bad sore throat right now, so it was very painful. Still laughing.

I think, but am sure, that Chan Ho was havin’ a bit of a go there. He said “diarrhea” so many times, its like he knew EXACTLY what he was doing: saying “diarrhea” on the air as many times as he could. Mo, in the background, looked like he knew what Park was up to, too. If that had been me, I’d have joined Park there at the mike for an impromptu rendition of the classic “diarrhea baseball” tune. Missed opportunity there, Mr. Rivera.

14. qcubed3 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Just remember to always think WWMRD?

15. flavadave10 - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I’m a diehard Orioles fan, and I’m gonna miss Mo. Things like this are why. I sure as heck won’t miss him whooping our butts, but I’ll miss him as an ambassador to the game of baseball.

16. bigtrav425 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

he is still a Yankee ….which means i wish nothing but bad things to him….but this is impressive for a Yankee

• largebill - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I have to disagree. I can hate the Yankees collectively as a team without having to hate each player individually. Rivera has always been a classy player. He actually took time during his tour of the Jake to see John Adams and pound the drum.

17. wpjohnson - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Maybe so. But now he isn’t better than Craig Kimbrel.

18. badintent - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Mo is a class act. He has always stayed away from Arodless and his gofhers,cronies,etc. HOF is a lock down, sorry Barry, and for him to stay with one team is a tribute to him and his fans. People hate on the Steinbrenner but they treated Mo for what he was , a once- in-a-lifetime player that handled success and failure with class.No trash talking , bragging, arrests or $$$ problems. No TMZ BS or anything else.
    We will miss you Mo. Stay well. Hope we never see you on some ESPN 30 show like most of the NFL or NBA.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5441)