Apr 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
It seemed obvious that the Rockies knew they could find a taker for Aaron Harang when they designated him for assignment immediately after acquiring him from the Dodgers for Ramon Hernandez last week and sure enough Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re close to trading him to the Mariners.
According to Rosenthal the two sides are in the process of getting approval from MLB, which is required whenever a trade involves more than $1 million in cash. Harang is making $7 million this season with a $7 million mutual option or $2 million buyout for 2014, although the Dodgers already chipped in $4.25 million to cover much of that.
Harang falling out of favor with the Dodgers had more to do with their rotation depth than his performance, which has been pretty solid for the past two seasons with a 3.62 ERA in 59 starts. His secondary numbers haven’t been nearly as good, but it won’t be tough for Harang to be an upgrade in Seattle’s rotation.
UPDATE: It’s a done deal. Colorado sends Harang and cash to Seattle for 26-year-old minor-league reliever Steven Hensley, who isn’t much of a prospect.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (337)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)