Apr 11, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that outfielder Michael Saunders has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder sprain. Endy Chavez has been called up from Triple-A Tacoma to replace him on the roster.
Saunders suffered the injury last night against the Astros when he crashed into the right field fence while catching a ball off the bat of Jose Altuve. While he’ll be sidelined for at least the next 15 days, he told Larry Stone of the Seattle Times that he hopes to not miss much time.
The Mariners are going with Michael Morse, Franklin Gutierrez and Raul Ibanez from right to left in the outfield tonight against Rangers’ right-hander Justin Grimm. Jason Bay, who beat out Casper Wells for a roster spot during spring training, should get some starts against southpaws. The newly-added Chavez will spell Gutierrez in center field if he needs a day off.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)