Apr 11, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that outfielder Michael Saunders has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder sprain. Endy Chavez has been called up from Triple-A Tacoma to replace him on the roster.
Saunders suffered the injury last night against the Astros when he crashed into the right field fence while catching a ball off the bat of Jose Altuve. While he’ll be sidelined for at least the next 15 days, he told Larry Stone of the Seattle Times that he hopes to not miss much time.
The Mariners are going with Michael Morse, Franklin Gutierrez and Raul Ibanez from right to left in the outfield tonight against Rangers’ right-hander Justin Grimm. Jason Bay, who beat out Casper Wells for a roster spot during spring training, should get some starts against southpaws. The newly-added Chavez will spell Gutierrez in center field if he needs a day off.
- The beauty of belief 6
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)