Apr 11, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Well, duh. So would a lot of teams. But Andy Martino spoke to some Mets officials — not necessarily the top decision makers, but people involved in those conversations — and the consensus is that, yep, the Mets would trade top prospects including Zack Wheeler for Giancarlo Stanton. They’ve been “monitoring his situation” since the winter.
I’m struggling to think of any prospect I wouldn’t trade for Stanton. Any hitting prospect’s absolute best case scenario is Stanton. No pitching prospect is a sure thing, ever. Maybe you don’t go all Herschel Walker-trade and give up, like, five blue chippers. But if it meant two absolute top prospects and some filler, I think you have to do that deal. Stanton is too good and has too many years of team control — and there are so few sluggers poised to reach free agency in their primes these days — that you have to pull the trigger if the Marlins give you the chance.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)