Apr 11, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Well, duh. So would a lot of teams. But Andy Martino spoke to some Mets officials — not necessarily the top decision makers, but people involved in those conversations — and the consensus is that, yep, the Mets would trade top prospects including Zack Wheeler for Giancarlo Stanton. They’ve been “monitoring his situation” since the winter.
I’m struggling to think of any prospect I wouldn’t trade for Stanton. Any hitting prospect’s absolute best case scenario is Stanton. No pitching prospect is a sure thing, ever. Maybe you don’t go all Herschel Walker-trade and give up, like, five blue chippers. But if it meant two absolute top prospects and some filler, I think you have to do that deal. Stanton is too good and has too many years of team control — and there are so few sluggers poised to reach free agency in their primes these days — that you have to pull the trigger if the Marlins give you the chance.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)