Apr 11, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Well, duh. So would a lot of teams. But Andy Martino spoke to some Mets officials — not necessarily the top decision makers, but people involved in those conversations — and the consensus is that, yep, the Mets would trade top prospects including Zack Wheeler for Giancarlo Stanton. They’ve been “monitoring his situation” since the winter.
I’m struggling to think of any prospect I wouldn’t trade for Stanton. Any hitting prospect’s absolute best case scenario is Stanton. No pitching prospect is a sure thing, ever. Maybe you don’t go all Herschel Walker-trade and give up, like, five blue chippers. But if it meant two absolute top prospects and some filler, I think you have to do that deal. Stanton is too good and has too many years of team control — and there are so few sluggers poised to reach free agency in their primes these days — that you have to pull the trigger if the Marlins give you the chance.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)