Apr 11, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Well, duh. So would a lot of teams. But Andy Martino spoke to some Mets officials — not necessarily the top decision makers, but people involved in those conversations — and the consensus is that, yep, the Mets would trade top prospects including Zack Wheeler for Giancarlo Stanton. They’ve been “monitoring his situation” since the winter.
I’m struggling to think of any prospect I wouldn’t trade for Stanton. Any hitting prospect’s absolute best case scenario is Stanton. No pitching prospect is a sure thing, ever. Maybe you don’t go all Herschel Walker-trade and give up, like, five blue chippers. But if it meant two absolute top prospects and some filler, I think you have to do that deal. Stanton is too good and has too many years of team control — and there are so few sluggers poised to reach free agency in their primes these days — that you have to pull the trigger if the Marlins give you the chance.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)