The umps for the White Sox-Nats game got stuck in a traffic jam

Apr 11, 2013, 9:40 AM EST

Traffic Jam

This item from last night gives me a great opportunity to break out my old vinyl copy of James Taylor’s 1977 album “JT” and play some deep cuts!

Or maybe I won’t break out “JT.” It’s really a “Dad Loves His Work” kind of morning. It used to be her town, dudes.

I’m reminded by NatsLady in this morning’s ATH comments that this is Cherry Blossom season. Anyone who has ever lived in the D.C. area knows what special kind of traffic hell that can create. Moreover, anyone who drives to Nats games knows that the park is in a location that lends itself to bottlenecks.

Still: give yourself some extra time, blue.

1. voteforno6 - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I think there was a rally in town as well.

2. kevinleaptrot - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Cherry Blossoms in peak bloom, immigration rally and the usual daily hell that is traffic in the metropolitan Washington area. Surprised that this doesn’t happen more often around here. Heck, I left work extra early yesterday and still was late for my Little League team’s practice. Maybe one day they’ll put a nice hotel up on one of the many empty lots that still surround the stadium and the umps can walk to the park and not have to deal with the traffic. But this is Washington, DC so probably not. At least not anytime soon.

• natslady - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You would think MLB could rent/lease/buy one of the condos near the park. I know they are pricey but… Also, you rent a place in the Eastern Market//Capitol Hill area, then you can take the bus to the Park and you are going against the crowd (it’s my secret weapon when I have the time).

• kevinleaptrot - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

The Lerners really need to get the ball rolling on developing that area though. It looks bad to have all of that unoccupied real estate around what was supposed to be a “magnet” for development in the area. It’s keepng us from getting the All Star Game, and if we make the World Series this season, it’s going to be on TV and it will be embarassing for the city.

3. historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Damn this traffic jam/how I hate to be late/hurts my motor to go so slow/time I get home my supper be cold/damn this traffic jam…

4. heyblueyoustink - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Was in L.A. once, on business, happened that there was an interleague game in Anaheim. Tried to drive it during rush hour, knew I wasn’t going to make it when the guy in the beamer and the suit parked his car in the emergency lane, locked the car, climbed on the roof, threw his briefcase over the sound barrier, and then climbed over it himself.

I’ve seen the beltway, survived the cross bronx, but never seen anything like that.

5. chacochicken - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If you’re an ump you get a hotel in Chinatown and metro over to the Naval Yard. Driving into the city is a fools errand.

• natslady - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM

They stay (I’ve heard) on NJ ave. They could walk (1.6 miles) or maybe take a pedicab. I would not envy them the Metro at that time of day. Rush hour crowd, plus tourists, plus there was a big rally.

• chacochicken - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

At least a packed Metro is moving in the right direction. If they are that close then a brisk 15 minute walk is in order.

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

15 min? That’s a fast chicken!

• chacochicken - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Hey, try catching a chicken that doesn’t want to be caught. If they (the umpires) are staying in SE then 15 to 25 mins tops to the stadium.

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

She said a mile and a half. No way Joe West makes that in 15 — chicken-chasing or not.

• natstowngreg - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

My office is near Chinatown. Not a lot of hotels there. Takes me 30-35 mins to get to Nats Park via the Green Line. (Hint: use the New Jersey Ave. exit. Longer walk to the park, but much less crowded than Half St.)

They didn’t bother to tell those of us in attendance why the game was starting late. Learned the reason because my friend and feellow (half) season ticket holder had Zuckerman’s Twitter feed on his iPad.

• natstowngreg - Apr 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Also, fellow…

ed-it func-tion! ed-it func-tion!

6. sdelmonte - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

So, more gridlock in Washington. I blame (fill in the party or politician of your choice)!

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

President Thomas J Whitmore.

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

A-hole Hamilton!

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My favorite? William Henry Harrison. Proof that karma will get you.

• historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

From slave-owner to poverty?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

OK, heyblue, I’m glad you didn’t suggest that President Merkin Muffley was in any way to blame.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Nah, the Pnuemonia Harrison got that killed him due to his incredibly long inauguration speech on one of the coldest days recorded that year, outside angle is more my thing.

7. thesmedman - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Anybody heard of Metro?

8. APBA Guy - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Having left DC for SF some years ago, it is my belief (ie observations not backed up by independent research) that DC traffic is certainly worse than SF, and on par with LA. Difference is, DC’s gets worse every year, LA has stayed about the same and SF’s is actually better on the Peninsula side than it was in the early 2000’s.

But yeah, knowing that, the umps should be staying at a hotel downtown and taking Metro.

9. davem23 - Apr 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM

L’Enfant’s design of the city, was meant protect the city from invaders. Unlike other large cities built on a more efficent grid pattern, DC is like spokes on a wheel with street terminating or orginating from traffic circles. It was designed for gridlock. I have lived here all my 43 years you get used to it and you plan accordingly. Cherry Blossoms and Rallys have nothing on Rolling Thunder when they close all but 2 bridges over the river and the roads around the Mall for the bikers. Atleast yesturday the roads were open to traffic. Everyone I spoke to about just laughed and shock their head.

On another note yet another Home Victory, and this weekend series should be greast for April Baseball!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester