Apr 12, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Had tickets to the Columbus Clippers-Indianapolis Indians game. Daisuke Matsuzaka was scheduled to start. Then it rained and they canceled the game. I have mixed feelings about it all because, on the one hand, baseball. On the other hand I dodged the Matsuzaka bullet. Oh well.
Dodgers 3, Padres 2: FISTICUFFSMANSHIP! Zack Greinke hit Carlos Quentin who then charged mound and broke Greinke’s collarbone (video at the link). It was his non-pitching arm, but still, that’s going to have him out for months, I’ll bet. Oh, and then it spilled over into the parking lot, so that’s fun. Expect suspensions. But expect Greinke to miss way more time than Quentin ever will. Throwing balls at people is dumb. Charging the mound is dumb. This is all dumb. Simply play baseball and this never happens.
Athletics 8, Angels 1: “Tell us a story, grandpa Craig!” “Well, OK, kiddos. Have a seat. Have I ever told you about the time when the Oakland A’s went 160-2 and the Angels went 2-160? The damndest year! The best part of it was when the manager of the A’s, fella named Melvin, said after one of their games ‘They have a heck of a team, but sometimes you catch a team when they’re down and we were lucky to do that.’ As if he thought they’d ever lose! Hahaha!” “Craig, stop messing with the grandkids like that, come here and eat your oatmeal.”
Tigers 11, Blue Jays 1: And here I thought the revamped Blue Jays’ rotation was gonna make things different this year. Josh Johnson got rocked, Doug Fister was great and Prince Fielder drove in four. All on a day not fit for man or beast.
Yankees vs. Indians: POSTPONED: Along in the sun and the rain. Along in the sun and the rain. Long oh long oh long oh long. Along in the sun and the rain. Hey, boys, I’ve come a long ways. Well, boys, I’ve come a long ways. Oh boys, I’ve come a long lonesome ways. Along in the sun and the rain
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)