Apr 12, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Had tickets to the Columbus Clippers-Indianapolis Indians game. Daisuke Matsuzaka was scheduled to start. Then it rained and they canceled the game. I have mixed feelings about it all because, on the one hand, baseball. On the other hand I dodged the Matsuzaka bullet. Oh well.
Dodgers 3, Padres 2: FISTICUFFSMANSHIP! Zack Greinke hit Carlos Quentin who then charged mound and broke Greinke’s collarbone (video at the link). It was his non-pitching arm, but still, that’s going to have him out for months, I’ll bet. Oh, and then it spilled over into the parking lot, so that’s fun. Expect suspensions. But expect Greinke to miss way more time than Quentin ever will. Throwing balls at people is dumb. Charging the mound is dumb. This is all dumb. Simply play baseball and this never happens.
Athletics 8, Angels 1: “Tell us a story, grandpa Craig!” “Well, OK, kiddos. Have a seat. Have I ever told you about the time when the Oakland A’s went 160-2 and the Angels went 2-160? The damndest year! The best part of it was when the manager of the A’s, fella named Melvin, said after one of their games ‘They have a heck of a team, but sometimes you catch a team when they’re down and we were lucky to do that.’ As if he thought they’d ever lose! Hahaha!” “Craig, stop messing with the grandkids like that, come here and eat your oatmeal.”
Tigers 11, Blue Jays 1: And here I thought the revamped Blue Jays’ rotation was gonna make things different this year. Josh Johnson got rocked, Doug Fister was great and Prince Fielder drove in four. All on a day not fit for man or beast.
Yankees vs. Indians: POSTPONED: Along in the sun and the rain. Along in the sun and the rain. Long oh long oh long oh long. Along in the sun and the rain. Hey, boys, I’ve come a long ways. Well, boys, I’ve come a long ways. Oh boys, I’ve come a long lonesome ways. Along in the sun and the rain
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 119
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (119)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)