And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Apr 12, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v San Diego Padres Getty Images

Had tickets to the Columbus Clippers-Indianapolis Indians game. Daisuke Matsuzaka was scheduled to start. Then it rained and they canceled the game. I have mixed feelings about it all because, on the one hand, baseball. On the other hand I dodged the Matsuzaka bullet. Oh well.

Dodgers 3, Padres 2: FISTICUFFSMANSHIP!  Zack Greinke hit Carlos Quentin who then charged mound and broke Greinke’s collarbone (video at the link). It was his non-pitching arm, but still, that’s going to have him out for months, I’ll bet. Oh, and then it spilled over into the parking lot, so that’s fun. Expect suspensions. But expect Greinke to miss way more time than Quentin ever will. Throwing balls at people is dumb. Charging the mound is dumb. This is all dumb. Simply play baseball and this never happens.

Athletics 8, Angels 1: “Tell us a story, grandpa Craig!” “Well, OK, kiddos. Have a seat. Have I ever told you about the time when the Oakland A’s went 160-2 and the Angels went 2-160? The damndest year! The best part of it was when the manager of the A’s, fella named Melvin, said after one of their games ‘They have a heck of a team, but sometimes you catch a team when they’re down and we were lucky to do that.’  As if he thought they’d ever lose! Hahaha!”  “Craig, stop messing with the grandkids like that, come here and eat your oatmeal.”

Nationals 7, White Sox 4: The Nats sweep the Sox. Fourth inning: a runner on base, Bryce Harper at the plate. Robin Ventura decides to walk Harper. Up comes Ryan Zimmerman who doubles in two. Whoops.

Giants 7, Cubs 6: Even when you spot the Cubs five runs they can’t win. The Giants’ four-run fourth was helped by Starlin Castro‘s throwing error.

Tigers 11, Blue Jays 1: And here I thought the revamped Blue Jays’ rotation was gonna make things different this year. Josh Johnson got rocked, Doug Fister was great and Prince Fielder drove in four. All on a day not fit for man or beast.

Orioles 3, Red Sox 2: Chris Davis hit another homer, Adam Jones drove in two and the bullpen held a one-run lead. Welcome to 2012.

Rangers 4, Mariners 3:  Felix Hernandez will have to wait a few days for his 100th career victory as the Rangers touched him for ten hits in six and two thirds.

Yankees vs. Indians: POSTPONED: Along in the sun and the rain. Along in the sun and the rain. Long oh long oh long oh long. Along in the sun and the rain. Hey, boys, I’ve come a long ways. Well, boys, I’ve come a long ways. Oh boys, I’ve come a long lonesome ways. Along in the sun and the rain

1. randygnyc - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM

The church bell rings
    An old drunk sings
    A young girl hocks her wedding ring
    Down on Rain Street

Down the alley the icewagon flew
    Picked up a stiff that was turning blue
    The local kids were sniffin’ glue
    Not much else for a kid to do
    Down on Rain Street

Father McGreer buys an ice cold beer
    And a short for Father Loyola
    Father Joe’s got the clap again
    He’s drinking Coca-Cola
    Down on Rain Street

Bless me Father I have sinned
    I got pissed and I got pinned
    And God can’t help the shape I’m in
    Down on Rain Street

There’s a Tesco on the sacred ground
    Where I pulled her knickers down
    While Judas took his measly price
    And St Anthony gazed in awe at Christ
    Down on Rain Street

I gave my love a goodnight kiss
    I tried to take a late night piss
    But the toilet moved so again I missed
    Down on Rain Street

I sat on the floor and watched TV
    Thanking Christ for the BBC
    A stupid fucking place to be
    Down on Rain Street

I took my Eileen by the hand
    Walk with me was her command
    I dreamt we were walking on the strand
    Down on Rain Street

That night Rain Street went on for miles
    That night on Rain Street somebody smiled

2. dondada10 - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Just saw the Dodgers/Pads fight. Yikes. I can’t believe that happened on the same night when posters were linking videos of their favorite baseball brawls.

3. oldpaddy - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Brawl-ball!!!
    I LOVE IT!!!!!

4. indaburg - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:45 AM

“Throwing balls at people is dumb. Charging the mound is dumb. This is all dumb. Simply play baseball and this never happens.”

This. Now a team with play-off aspirations is without one of their aces for weeks, and their best hitter will be out of the line-up for several days. All for what exactly? Stupid all around.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I hope Matt Kemp’s grandparents are okay!

• indaburg - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Me too! Now that my fingerwaving eye-stink is all out of the way, how hot did Kemp look all heated out there? Mmm mmm mmm. I may have a new baseball boyfriend. I could totally get lost in those eyes.

• stex52 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

You ladies bring a dimension here that may not be fully appreciated. I typically don’t notice, and my wife is usually up and about busy when we watch on TV. Very rarely will she look closely enough to comment on a player’s looks, unless I call attention to a play and she notices.

It’s interesting to me, though.

• indaburg - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Funny, my husband doesn’t appreciate that I bring that dimension into the game as much as you.

• rockthered1286 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I’m still not convinced it was intentional. How often do you see a pitcher intentionally throw at a guy with a 3-2 count ? I get that there was a Dodger HBP earlier in the game so people automatically assume anything close by Grienke will be intentional, but it just doesn’t add up to me. But CQ… moron.

• indaburg - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I’m not sure it was intentional either. In a close game with a 3-2 count, it’s not the typical time a beef is settled. It was an inside pitch, and a pitcher to be effective has to be able to throw inside. Quentin also didn’t attempt to move out of the way either. It seemed like the time to take one for the team and just take the base. You’d think someone who gets HBP as often as Quentin would develop a thicker skin. You know, from all the bruises. Good thing it wasn’t an HBPiD. Greinke might be a dead man.

Then again, I know that Greinke and Quentin have history, and Kemp’s head was thrown at earlier, so there is a motive. Greinke does things his own way, and I can see him throwing at someone intentionally in situations most of us would think odd. If Greinke did it intentionally, that was stupid. Quentin’s reaction was definitely stupid. The whole situation is all f***ing fertilizer.

• Hunter Pence's Eyes - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

You stay classy San Diego!

• gloccamorra - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I’m not so sure is WASN’T intentional. Great situation for plausible deniability. Notice Quentin was headed for first base, and Greinke said something, causing Quentin to stop and head for the mound. You can’t read his lips on the video, but the umpire probably heard what Greinke said, and it’ll probably come up in the umpire’s report to the Commissioner, and the Commissioner’s decision to come.

Also, there’s no way Quentin broke a collarbone with that first contact. It was either after that, when both Greinke and Quentin were tackled from the side and hit the ground with Quentin on top of Greinke, or when other players piled on. Craig could easily make a solid courtroom argument that Quentin wasn’t the direct cause of the broken collarbone.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

gloc: I’d say your conspiracy theory is a stretch, but that would be insulting yoga pants.

5. RedHeadedBastard - Apr 12, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Wow, that escalated quickly!

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Yeah – and here we were all worried about the North Koreans.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I blame Rodman for that. The least he could have done was bring the little fat kid with the supposed missiles a donut or cheesestak or something.

Or the current state of Iran, the last clown to go off threatening folks with nuclear intentions. Haven’t heard from him in a while. Gee, I wonder why…. /s

• ptfu - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Carlos Quentin’s gonna have a few days off from basebrawl. Maybe he can be reassigned to Panmunjom to face down the North Koreans? Win-win all around!

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Well, there has been speculation that Greinke is a North Korean operative, so maybe he was trying to start a fight on the baseball field, which would hopefully lead to Padres & Dodger fans fighting in the stands, which would hopefully spill out onto the streets, which would hopefully bring out the police in force, which would hopefully incite the crowds even more, which would hopefully encourage the LAPD to call out the Riot police, which would hopefully bring out the gangs to protect their territory from the police, which would hopefully force the governor to call in the National Guard, which would hopefully get the syndicate involved since the heavy police presence would disrupt their operations, which would hopefully force the President’s hand to send in Army troops, which would hopefully instill the belief in survivalist groups that the government was taking over and taking away rights, which would eventually lead to a civil war and utter chaos. That face-faced Korean is brilliant!

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM

It jumped up a notch, didn’t it?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM

There were horses (Quentin), a man on fire (Kemp), and I punched a guy in his nutsack.

6. ryanrockzzz - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Grienke reminds me of that passive agressive driver I encouter every morning. Drives like an ass until he gets confronted, then he turns out to be a big wuss.

It’s funny that he instigated it by throwing, and now everyone is sad for him.

• oldpaddy - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM

The best time to throw at a guy is, of course, when you’ve got a full count on him.

You remind me of that driver I encounter every morning who’s convinced that everyone else on the road is simply there to keep him from getting to work. And who doesn’t use turn signals.

• oldpaddy - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I HATE people who don’t use their turn signals, tail gate or park it in the passing lane for no reason.
        I’d say 25-40% of drivers can’t drive. Cops are some of the worst drivers too. At least in Massachusetts.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I wish everyone had to drive a standard. Firstly, it might make them drive instead of operate their vehicles. Also, if they were conscious of having to push in the clutch they might realize how often they are farting around. Most especially, though, I HATE, HATE, HATE people who use their brakes to control their speed. That is the WORST. It’s infuriating — and wastes money.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

/historio jumps off her moving bicycle in front of a startled businessman, puts an envelope in his hand, tosses her hair and says “Sign here please.”
        #Premium Rush

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

If Historio is circulating a petition to make automatic transmissions illegal with the exception of people incapable of driving a standard due to physical disability….I’ll sign. Anything that makes people pay more attention while operation a ton or more of metal at high rates of speed is a good thing.

• yahmule - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM

That “big wuss” held his ground when that 240 freight train came charging straight at him. I wonder how you would respond with an enraged Carlos Quentin bearing down on you.

• antlerclaws - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Eh, not everyone can be Nolan Ryan.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM

That’s probably why Verlander makes sure they can’t walk after…

7. historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

The War of 1812 is vindicated and again we retake Detroit. The Old Northwest is secure. Let us thank our Closing Committee: Hunter-Cabrera-Fielder-Martinez. Plus, nothing’s slippier than the wet, wet grass of home.

• philliesblow - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM

After the game Tiger manager Jimoliver Mybullpenisahazard Imfromperrysburgh stated, “We have met the enemy and they are ours”.

• indaburg - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

His bull penis hazard? Wha…?

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

He’s a Civil War pro golfer maybe?

8. philliesblow - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Miggy hit his 1st triple since 2010 in the Tigers’ win. He is now tied with Mike Trout for triples this season.

• detroitr1 - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:57 AM

…and Cabrera stole a base too.

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

That cracked me up. Can they score that “fielder’s negligence”?

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Geez, paper, just give him the credit already.

• yahmule - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Rajai didn’t exactly cover himself in glory on that play. He stumbled and fell on the warning track, played the ball off the wall and then his chest, probably spiked himself, and needed Rasmus to get the ball back into the infield.

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I just remember him being thrown out at home easily when he tried to tag up on a fly ball that was caught near the warning track….I think it was Nelli Cruz that “gunned” him down….man, the guy is sloooooooooow. Yadier Molina even makes fun of his speed.

9. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM

No Feesh debacle last night. They’re still on track to lose 161/144 games (depending on whose math you believe – hers, or the system rooted in reality).

• natslady - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We’ll be there next week, Gator, after this tough series against the ATL. Don’t forget how to lose, OK? This sweeping stuff is kinda fun.

Pouring down rain, with fog and lightning… That’ll take care of the blossoms, but the traffic will remain. Umps got to the game in plenty of time, rumor has it they bunked down at the Park (just kidding).

• indaburg - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Too funny, Gator. But you’re right. At least the Feesh did not lose last night.

10. natslady - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Also, for White Sox fans, what is with your most impressive pitcher doing middle-long relief? Our radio guys said Santiago had been a starter and a closer last year but they didn’t explain why he’s not in the rotation. Is there a back story? I saw from the first inning that Axelrod is not a good pitcher.

Here are some postgame comments on the IBB to Harper, his first ever.

White Sox manager Robin Ventura advised Axelrod to intentionally walk Harper with first base open and Werth on second. Harper had never been given a free pass as a major league hitter, but everyone in the world knows he is swinging a hot bat.

Ventura based the decision on Harper’s recent play, despite Ryan Zimmerman waiting in the on-deck circle.

“You know, Harper’s hot,” Ventura said. “With the swings he was having earlier off of Axe, you’re rolling the dice either way. You just take your chance”

Harper took first with Werth over at second and then both were driven in on a double by Zimmerman. The Nats third baseman lofted one just over the head of a backtracking Alex Rios in right field.

“That’s part of the lineup,” Ventura said. “They make it extremely hard, every time you go around it gets a little harder. Wasn’t able to get through that one.”

Harper was honored to be given the intentional walk and Johnson said it may have given Zimmerman some extra motivation. But Zimmerman said that if he was in Ventura’s situation, he would have done the same thing.

“If I’m the manager I’d rather pitch a righty against a righty instead of a lefty, but obviously Bryce, you don’t want to pitch to Bryce right now,” he said.

“I think it was just more of a match-up thing. I wouldn’t pitch a righty against Bryce right now either.”

• jwbiii - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Harper did this on Wednesday

so he got an IBB on Thursday.

• natslady - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

A much more civilized approach than getting HBP…

• jwbiii - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

The ball may disagree. That poor thing got hammered.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Are you saying the ball got a serious contusion, or that after said hit the ball went to a bar to drown its sorrows?

11. chill1184 - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Certainly the brawl was fun to watch but at the same time I was watching the A’s/Angels game as it was the free MLB.tv game of the day. Angels looked pretty flat in that game

• antlerclaws - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Angels look pretty flat in this season.

• natslady - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think Pujols likes Hamilton–just from the body language. Hamilton is all chatty, la-la-la, and Pujols is “leeme alone, I’m working here.”

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

natslady, isn’t that how we all are w/ Hamilton?

• pauleee - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I was at that game last night. It was Mike Trout Fleece Blanket giveaway night. By the 7th inning I was doing my best Linus impersonation, clutching my blanky and sucking my thumb. How bad was it? Halos offense was so lacking, the goddamn Rally Monkey didn’t even make an appearance. Silver lining…

12. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Blewjays rotation, bullpen, and defense is really impressing the hell out of me this year, they might want to consider carrying 20 pitchers when you consider how long their starters have been lasting….

3-6 last place

13. hcf95688 - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Boy, the Angels suck. Their starting pitching after Weaver is awful and he’s hurt. Their bullpen is terrible. They have $300+ million tied up in two players, one (Puljos, for nione more years) is a cripple, the other (Hamilton five years) is a crackhead. The team will be stuck with those regrettable contracts for a long time and unable to improve.

• antlerclaws - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I’m sure Streaky McStreakerson (Hamilton) will wake up someday, but man, that is one stinky start. I think worse than Pujols’ dry spell last season. At least Pujols looked like he was trying; Hamilton just looks lost, even though he woke up a little yesterday. He is a head case at the best of times, and when things are going wrong, he tends to blame external element around him except admitting that he’s a head case.

• pauleee - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Yes the Angels do suck so far. Curious though, how much of those two contracts are you paying for, because you sound concerned. I’d call you “stupid” but you probably don’t like being called that any more than Lt. Dan likes to be called “cripple”.

14. sportsdrenched - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Booo light schedules. What, these guys think they need travel days or something?

Planet Zack & Carlos Quinten. I would like to condemn the whole situation as dumb. I probably would have just taken the base, because you know, scoreboard and all that. But there have been times on a softball field where I was ready to throwdown…so you know. I’m not gonna get all morally indignant here.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB