Apr 12, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
The Braves recently acquired reliever Luis Ayala and they found a way to get him on the roster. Right-hander Cristhian Martinez, suffering from a right-shoulder strain, was placed on the disabled list, per David O’Brien. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez talked about his reliever’s injury:
We were going to pitch him in the last inning, and he threw about 10 or 12 pitches and turned around and told (bullpen coach) Eddie (Perez) that his shoulder was bothering him a little bit,” Gonzalez said. “We shut him down. Varvaro finished the game with two innings of work, and we flew Cristhian to Atlanta to see our doctor.
Martinez allowed two runs in one-third of an inning in his first appearance of the season on April 2 against the Phillies, then tossed two scoreless innings against the Cubs on April 6, also the last time he appeared in a game.
Ayala, 35 years old, also allowed two runs in one-third of an inning in his first appearance of the season on April 3, then followed it up with 1.2 scoreless innings on the fifth.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)