Apr 12, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
The Braves recently acquired reliever Luis Ayala and they found a way to get him on the roster. Right-hander Cristhian Martinez, suffering from a right-shoulder strain, was placed on the disabled list, per David O’Brien. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez talked about his reliever’s injury:
We were going to pitch him in the last inning, and he threw about 10 or 12 pitches and turned around and told (bullpen coach) Eddie (Perez) that his shoulder was bothering him a little bit,” Gonzalez said. “We shut him down. Varvaro finished the game with two innings of work, and we flew Cristhian to Atlanta to see our doctor.
Martinez allowed two runs in one-third of an inning in his first appearance of the season on April 2 against the Phillies, then tossed two scoreless innings against the Cubs on April 6, also the last time he appeared in a game.
Ayala, 35 years old, also allowed two runs in one-third of an inning in his first appearance of the season on April 3, then followed it up with 1.2 scoreless innings on the fifth.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)