Apr 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Initial reports had Brian Roberts potentially returning from the disabled list after just two weeks, but “two weeks” and “ruptured knee tendon” never seemed to match up and sure enough he’ll be out longer.
His injury is now being called merely a “right hamstring strain” and Roberts is eligible to come off the DL on April 19, but manager Buck Showalter told reporters that “is going to be a challenge for him.”
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes that Roberts “is walking without a limp but has yet to resume baseball activities” eight days after suffering the injury sliding into second base against the Rays. Ryan Flaherty will continue to be the primary fill-in at second base.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 136
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (152)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)