Cliff Lee Kissed Kyle Kendrick

Apr 12, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

It sounds like I’m making it up, but I’m not. The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Matt Gelb tweeted:

We haven’t received an update as to what kind of kiss it was.

The last time a Kiss Cam was a topic of conversation in baseball, then-Athletics hurler Brandon McCarthy was criticizing it for being homophobic.

They put two guys on the ‘Kiss Cam’ tonight. What hilarity!! (by hilarity I mean offensive homophobia). Enough with this stupid trend.

1. dondada10 - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

For the sake of societal evolution, I hope it was a French kiss.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM

*cough* voyeur *cough*

• dondada10 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Amongst other things…

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

ha ha Nice.

• hittfamily - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM

This is how they should have handled it.

2. vilelabyrinth - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

2 guys goofin around is offensive homophobia? whaa

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

If you put thought into it, yeah it kind of is.

“Haha, two masculine guys kissing, how hilarious of a joke.”

It’s a rudimentary type of mocking.

• paul621 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I think you both missed the point. McCarthy was talking about how the intended “hilarity” is the two guys looking uncomfortable and everyone laughing at the absurdity of suggesting that two guys might kiss. I don’t think Lee and Kendrick turning that on its head and actually kissing is the “offensive homophobia” McCarthy was talking about.

• thomas844 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM

In my opinion the gag isn’t as much the fact that it’s two guys than it is the fact that it is members of the opposing team being put on the spot.

• detroitfanatic - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Wait a minute. Kyle Kendrick is still a Philly. I thought he was traded to the Yumiyori Giants for Kobayashi.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM

paul, It’s still mocking, whether it is intended to make the two guys uncomfortable, or intended to make everyone else laugh at two guys kissing.

It’s no different than a white person putting on black face, some super clever person doing their always hilarious “Habib from 7-11″ accent, or putting your hand to your chest and doing Special-Olympic-Gold-Medalist.

The entire subject can come across as abusive humor unless except in the hands of very adept individuals and in the right situations.

You have to understand that even when you are mocking idiots who by into hateful stereotype by “turning it on its head” there are still a LOT of bigots who don’t get the joke and go “Haha, look at them pretendin ta be fags! Derpaderpa!”

• paul621 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Eh, I’d have to see video of how they handled it. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you–I’m just pointing out that McCarthy’s point was different. He wasn’t calling “2 guys goofing around” “offensive homophobia,” he was referring to the other side of the “joke.” The original post above is mixing up the two events, that’s all I was trying to get at.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Really Buckfutter? It’s a rudimentary type of mocking? This is where we are now?
        I just don’t have the energy anymore. Break out the violin, the cheese and the wine.
        Cause’ this shit is getting tired. Reeeal tired.

3. mclovinhockey - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I want a gif now hahaha : )

4. historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM

How desperate are they to get people to watch Marlins games? Damn.

• dondada10 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It’ll probably read like Victorian Gay Erotica.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I hope there’s nothing Victorian about it.

• dondada10 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Wuthering Philly.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Philly Shades of Grey

5. tfbuckfutter - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Naturally they do it at Marlins Park where no one will see it.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Let’s hope for a Gator summary.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Yea, I was looking for the right angle. You nailed it!

• fredverd - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Is this Lee any relation to “Spaceman” Lee (more accurately in today’s lexicon, “Spaceperson” Lee)? You know, son of Spaceman/Spaceperson…?

6. hittfamily - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I’d kiss Carl Crawford if they let me. Nolan Reimold too. 2011 is still fresh in my mind.

7. mungman69 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

The Marlins had a couple of fans last night and 11,000 tvs were tuned in.

8. tfbuckfutter - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM

It was much better than the usual Kiss Cam image at Marlins Park

• detroitfanatic - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

It kind of looks like Scrooge farted the “Lost” smoke monster.

9. bigtrav425 - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I hope one of them called No Homo before the kiss!! If not then that’s just…..GAY…… :)

10. papalurchdxb - Apr 13, 2013 at 5:45 AM

One can only assume there was no-one else in the stadium for them to focus on?

11. tory707 - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hit family. That is awesome!!!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto