Craig Biggio: “If you stand close to the plate, you’re going to get hit”

Apr 12, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT

Carlos Quentin,  Zack Greinke AP

Craig Biggio got hit more than all but one player (Hughie Jennings) in baseball history, earning a bruise 285 times during his 20-year career with the Houston Astros. Biggio was likely intentionally thrown at more than once in those 285 occurrences, but he never once charged the mound. Why? MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart quotes Biggio:

I always felt that if I got hit on purpose, my pitcher was going to stick up for me and there was no reason to go out and charge the mound. An eye for an eye. That’s how you get the respect from your teammates. From the standpoint of a hitter, I didn’t move. I didn’t stand on top of the plate, but I knew if guys came in, I was going to get hit. That’s part of the game.

Take note, Carlos Quentin. The Padres outfielder, responsible for last night’s bench-clearing brawl with the Dodgers, has been hit 116 times in his eight-year career and is known for crowding the plate. He took issue with Zack Greinke hitting him with a fastball last night. If he is going to be seeking revenge for getting hit while refusing to back off of the plate, he will be adding a lot more enemies to an already-lengthy list.

1. DonkeyStick - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Craig Biggio has spoken. ENOUGH SAID!!!

2. badintent - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Don Balyor got hit over 150 times, rarely charged the mound. These generation X AND Y dudes are pus*ys.Deport them.All of them.Especially Arodless.

• tuberippin - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yes, deport those American citizens playing the game long referred to as America’s pastime.

• hectorpaz - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Stfu u Jewish bitch. American pass time suck my cock there is a reason why we “immigrants” are taking baseball over so go suck on ur moms tits

• manchestermiracle - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Brilliant riposte. Obviously the top debater on your high school team, right?

• tuberippin - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM

hector…first of all, not Jewish..don’t really know how you got that one. Secondly, the word is pastime, y para ser honesto, no me importa si tu primera idioma es espanol. Lastly and most importantly, I was being fucking sarcastic.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

especially arodless

Yes, deport the guy born in NYC…

• danaking - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I lived in Boston when Baylor played there. Not only did he not charge the mound, he refused to even rub the spot where he got hit. Didn’t want to give the pitcher the idea he threw hard enough for it to hurt.

Biggio’s right. Stand close, you get hit. The pitcher has to have one side of the plate. Crowd the plate and he has no choice but to come inside, and you’re going to get hit sooner or later.

This is similar to the current debate about catchers’ injuries from blocking the plate. I’m not advocating throwing at people, or deliberately running into catchers to hurt them, but if you a catcher doesn’t want to risk injury from getting run over, don’t block the plate. If a batter doesn’t want to get hit by a pitch, don’t crowd. Even with good intentions all around, sooner or later someone is going to get run over or hit.

• garythebat - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

He may have a history of crowding the plate, but on the pitch that led to the brawl? Definitely not. https://twitter.com/CJNitkowski/status/322722973867966465/photo/1

• aceshigh11 - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM

What a nasty, xenophobic asshole you are.

Let me guess: Republican?

• DonkeyStick - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM

“What a nasty, xenophobic asshole you are.”

Let me guess: Idiot?

• bigharold - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM

WTF? He has a point. If you crowd the plate you shouldn’t be surprised that you get hit more frequently. If you block the plate you WILL be run into.

If you want to be a “hard nose” ball player you can’t whine when you get nicked up.

And, No I’m not a Republican.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I’m not talking about the baseball part of his rant.

Did you happen to miss his point about DEPORTING all Gen X and Gen Y ballplayers, irrespective of where they were born?

It was a stupid comment for him to make.

• gibbstastic - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

“We the People”…

did zeb and swagger come out?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

“What a nasty, xenophobic asshole you are.”

Said the liberal (or is it progressive?)…who routinely calls for people to commit suicide.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

If the pitcher who got hurt here was some scrub 5th starter or reliever this would barely be news anymore.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I certainly hope most people would still be upset that a player got hurt whether he’s an ace or a bench-warmer. Your view on someone’s worth is disturbing.

4. tfbuckfutter - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Kind of interesting to just casually peruse the numbers here…..

In 1699 games during the first part of Biggio’s career, his OPS+ was 124 and he was HBP 153 times (once per 11 games)

After the last season where he registered on the MVP ballot (1999) his OPS+ was 95 and he was HBP 132 times in 1151 games (once per 8.75 games)….

So I would say that yes, a lot of the HBPs in his career were in fact intentional….just not intentional by the pitcher.

• term3186 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Oh there is no doubt Biggio took hits on purpose. He was great at drawing it. Had a nice pad on his elbow and when he “turned away” to avoid the pitch, he chicken-winged it so that the ball would hit the pad and he’d take his base. Remarkably I don’t ever recall him being called out for that. Huuuuuuuuuuuuge Biggio fan.

• jkaflagg - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Exactly….Biggio would stick that huge elbow pad out whenever the Astros needed a baserunner; and like you, I don’t ever recall the ump calling him on it….

• ravensfan8780 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Actually I remember once when Biggio got called out or something by the ump

5. mybrunoblog - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Wow. Craig Biggio was old school. Damn, now I really feel old.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Face it brother, we’re all old.

I’m 47, and it seems like yesterday I could not believe there MLB players younger than me. Now the only hope I have is that the Astro’s sign Jamie Moyer

6. randygnyc - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Wasn’t this Quentin’s first time charging the mound, though? If correct, he’ll get no more than 5 games, despite zack’s injury

7. evanwins - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM

SO Biggio wasn’t man enough to take care of his own business, instead letting the pitcher take care of his problem. AND he feels it’s better to let someone get beaned with a 90 mph pitch then punching someone?

Good thing he was good at baseball cause he’s neither smart nor brave.

• Gobias Industries - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Wow. I’ve searched my whole life for the toughest man alive. And now I’ve found him. I thought it was John Wayne. I was wrong. I thought it was Mike Tyson. It was not. I thought it was Chuck Norris. Wrong again. No, I’ve found the toughest man alive and his name is evanwins. Congratulations, evanwins, you’ve earned our respect. Don’t worry about all those thumbs downs. Everyone just happens to be standing on their heads as they read your manly comment and they mistakenly think they’re giving you thumbs ups.

8. thesportsguru7 - Apr 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

This is exactly why Craig Biggio is a Hall of Famers, and Carlos Quentin will be forgotten 5 days after he retires.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I kind of forgot about him after he failed to duplicate his breakout 2008 season.

Kind of surprised to see he’s actually put together a pretty solid career since then….for a part time player.

• Cris E - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

The trainers will always remember him.

9. 303bengalguy - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

what’s conveniently forgotten by Biggio is, this WAS the retaliation! Greinke hit CQ after Marquis zinged Kemp. Also, CQ was hit and knocked out of the game by Bellisario on Tuesday.

Why in the Friggin world is everyone on CQ’s back and coddling Greinke???? I don’t even like CQ or the Padres, I just don’t see why everyone is empathetic to Greinke getting dealt with.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Maybe because a player losing half the season on an idiotic, over-the-top reaction to an unintended plunking is worth discussing. Just a wild guess.

• louhudson23 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM

The game is baseball. Baseball is a game of situations.In baseball,you do not intentionally hit a batter in the game situation that existed at the time.Therefor,any statement which indicates that the pitch was intentional is incorrect. Period.

• Cris E - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

If this is step 2 and CQ wants to yell at someone he should probably look down the bench to Marquis. If he wants to be mad at everyone who plunks him he needs to take a look in the mirror.

10. retaeyssup - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Someone is a little emotional. Does his mom have decent tits?

11. blazertop - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Who cares what Biggio says. This is a guy who hung around making his team worse, with his sub .300 OBP, just to get some round number of hits.

12. greysolon - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Except..

1- he wasn’t crowding the plate
    2-Greinke threw up and in as the catcher set up low and away.
    3- Its the first time quentin has charged the mound despite being hit more than anyone else.

Other than that– perfectly spot on.

All the trade deadline news to know