Apr 12, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
Tempers have just a few days to cool off before the Dodgers and Padres play in Los Angeles on Monday. That Matt Kemp wants a piece of Carlos Quentin is undeniable, and it’s safe to say he’s not the only Dodger who feels that way — he’s just the biggest and strongest.
Still, those expecting anything more than a typical ballgame Monday are likely to be disappointed for a few reasons.
First, April 15 is Jackie Robinson Day in MLB. The Dodgers take that day even a little more seriously than the rest of the league does, and it’s safe to say that the commissioner’s office will let it be known the league is not to be embarrassed on that date. What a mess it would be if a brawl broke out between 50 guys wearing Jackie’s No. 42 on their backs.
Second, Don Mattingly would look like a pretty big hypocrite if, after all of his righteous anger last night, he let his players take matters into their own hands and go ahead Quentin. Mattingly called for Quentin to be suspended for however long Greinke is absent. That’s not going to happen, of course. But Mattingly would look really bad if one of his players went and knocked Quentin out for a considerable period of time.
Third, it’s just too obvious anyway. The Dodgers don’t seem to have any issues with any Padres except Quentin. There’s no reason for them to drill anyone else. And if they retaliate at Quentin now, they’ll just be hurting themselves with the suspensions sure to result. The Dodgers and Padres play six series this year. There will be plenty of time for them to take aim at Quentin later, if they so choose. Or maybe they could just be the bigger men and focus on beating the Padres on the scoreboard.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)