Apr 12, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Jason Giambi made the Indians out of spring training, but began the season on the disabled list with a strained lower back.
Giambi was signed to be a bench bat and at age 42 he’s not exactly suited for regular playing time anyway, but if Drew Stubbs continues to struggle the Indians could get Giambi into the lineup a few times per week by shifting some guys around. Giambi hasn’t had more than 225 plate appearances in a season since 2009, but he posted a .370 on-base percentage and .444 slugging percentage from 2010-2012.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)