Apr 12, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Jason Giambi made the Indians out of spring training, but began the season on the disabled list with a strained lower back.
Giambi was signed to be a bench bat and at age 42 he’s not exactly suited for regular playing time anyway, but if Drew Stubbs continues to struggle the Indians could get Giambi into the lineup a few times per week by shifting some guys around. Giambi hasn’t had more than 225 plate appearances in a season since 2009, but he posted a .370 on-base percentage and .444 slugging percentage from 2010-2012.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)