Apr 12, 2013, 3:29 AM EST
The Mariners could be without one of the AL’s hottest hitters for a week after Michael Morse suffered a non-displaced fracture of his right pinkie finger during Thursday’s game against the Rangers.
Morse, who is batting .293 with six homers, was hit on the hand by a Tanner Scheppers pitch in the eighth inning, but it was ruled a swinging strike. He stayed in initially and, incredibly enough, was hit in the shoulder by Scheppers’ next pitch.
While Morse is hoping to play again as soon as Sunday, the Mariners will likely hold him out longer. It’s an injury he can play through without much risk of making it worse, but the pain will make it tough for him to grip a bat normally.
Morse’s injury comes just a day after the Mariners lost Michael Saunders to a sprained right shoulder. While Saunders was placed on the DL, Morse is expected to avoid the assignment. The Mariners will go with some combination of Jason Bay, Raul Ibanez and Endy Chavez in the corners until Morse is ready to return.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
McGee is expected to begin the season on the disabled list, but he’s hoping to return by late April or early May.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Ottavino has quietly been very effective since joining the Rockies in 2012, posting a 3.60 ERA over 179 relief appearances while averaging 9.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:01 PM EST
After negotiations with Ryan Vogelsong broke down last week, the Astros are now considering alternatives.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:07 PM EST
Gutierrez has played a grand total of 173 games dating back to 2011 and sat out last season due to a gastrointestinal issue.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
Avila is making a change in hopes of avoiding future concussions.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
The announcement comes after the Blue Jays reportedly ended their pursuit of Orioles executive VP Dan Duquette.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
The 29-year-old hit just .245/.304/.347 with three home runs and nine RBI across 81 games with the Braves last season and was designated for assignment in November.
I don’t know if Dustin Pedroia is in the Best Shape of His life, but he IS posing with his shirt off
Jan 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EST
Before cell phone cameras we just sat around and posed in the mirror. Now we can share that with everyone.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:16 PM EST
Norris asked for $10.25 million and the Orioles countered at $7.5 million.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:49 PM EST
Buck joins Christian Bethancourt and A.J. Pierzynski on the Braves’ catching depth chart.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Now, if they’ll bring back the beer mug Bernie slides into, everything will be A-OK.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EST
I’m sure you’ve been worried about whether he would.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:10 PM EST
Parmelee was dropped by the Twins last month.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:18 PM EST
Mesoraco is arbitration eligible for the first time at age 26 and filed for $3.6 million, while the Reds countered at $2.45 million.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Wade Boggs is . . . the World’s Most Interesting Man
Jan 26, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
If it was a human it would’ve almost made it to the first grade. But now it is dead, aged just short of six years.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
If you made a trade with St. Louis in the 90s and 2000s, you likely got the bad end of that trade. Because of this guy.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:57 AM EST
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
“I don’t know if my metabolism is slowing down from getting older or what, but I feel good.”
Jan 26, 2015, 9:31 AM EST
Hey guys, if things break just right we may get another A-Rod lawsuit!
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)