No one is watching the Marlins on television either

Apr 12, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Jeffrey Loria

Marlins attendance is down 11,000 fans per game compared to this same point last season and Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that no one is watching them on television either:

Marlins TV ratings have been dreadful, with the first two home games this week generating a 1.8 and 1.5–numbers comparable to daytime game shows–followed by Wednesday’s embarrassing 0.8–equaling .8 percent of Dade/Broward homes with TV sets.

According to Sports Business Journal‘s numbers published back in October no team had an average rating below 1.0 last season. I’m not sure of the exact numbers, but based on last year the Marlins are likely getting fewer than 20,000 people to watch the games on television so far.

1. tcostant - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Remember when the Nationals rating were so low that MLB needed to check the number. If I remember correctly they were getting about 12,000 viewers a night then. Boy, have they come a long way.

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I watch the Feesh. They’re my guys and I root for the ballplayers even as I hope that the next Nemesis asteroid scores a direct hit on their owner.

It would be nice if he were having dinner with Bud Light and the Chihuahua at the time, of course.

2. El Bravo - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I feel bad for Giancarlo Michael Stanton. He did nothing to deserve this. Trade that man.

• chill1184 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Assuming that the Marlins FO actually handles such a trade and not Loria, such a trade is going to be a farm emptier. It will be an interesting story line for this season and the off season.

• Kevin S. - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM

If Loria handles the trade, he’ll ship him off for Ichiro and a couple of A-ballers so he can cash in on Ichiro’s 3,000th hit.

• El Bravo - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

If I’m a player, I avoid Miaimi like the plague after what they did last season. If I’m Reyes, I’m telling everyone the same thing. Total M-ierde!

• anxovies - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I heard the Yankees offered Ivan Nova, a handful of magic beans and a player to be named later?

3. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don’t mean to sound hateful but I couldn’t be happier that this happened to a dickhead such as Loria.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Don’t worry about Loria: he’ll be just fine. I am sure he gets plenty of money even with low ratings.

• szapata03 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Of course he is – that HBT article the other day said that he profited 50 million dollars, for two consecutive seasons.

• voteforno6 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Indeed. Whichever network licensed the rights is probably taking a bath from the advertisers.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

The best we can hope is that the other owners be convinced that Loria is bad for baseball and find a way to boot him out. Loria will probably end up like Frank McCourt: come out of the dung smelling like roses.

4. illegalblues - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM

loria doesn’t give a good god damn about the team or it’s ratings. he’s just in it for the revenue sharing

• chill1184 - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This can be said for alot of MLB owners

• illegalblues - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM

i really don’t think you can put them in the same bucket as loria.

5. icanspeel - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I think they need a brawl or 2 to excite fans. I would guess the ratings will be high when the Padres and Dodgers meet Monday in LA

6. sdelmonte - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

So what has lower ratings in Miami, Marlins ball or NBC?

7. plmathfoto - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Another mildly interesting thing is, last Saturday, they were playing the Mets, and I had to run an errand, and couldn’t find the game on the radio, called my dad, who’s a die hard fan, and asked him what radio station they’re on and he couldn’t tell me. I think they were bumped by the Heat, University of Miami, etc etc etc.

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

FM 104.3 when the hear are playing.

8. rcali - Apr 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

If the local folks could only flip the bill for a new ballpark, they would be a lot better.

9. Uncle Charlie - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I have the MLB package and try to watch as many different teams as possible. The Marlins have the absolutely worst TV broadcast that I have ever seen. They use three super tight camera angles with that bright green background. And they never show the flipping whirly-ma-bob in the outfield. In years past the announcers would go out of their way to rip on the opposing team. Yuck!

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I strongly suspect that they have ordered the cameras not to pan the empty seats unless absolutely necessary to follow a play.

10. fukpittsburgh - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

The Miami Marlins are victims of the shittily run business that is Major League Baseball.

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Major league baseball is not “shittily run.” Comically run. Absurdly run. Oddly run. Whatever. But it’s hallucinatory to call an organization that makes billions in profits “shittily run.”

11. onbucky96 - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hope that “nice” stadium has an iron clad lease. It’d be a shame for tax payers to keep paying for it should the Marlins bolt.

12. deathmonkey41 - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Like someone stated above- why should he care with revenue sharing in place? As long as other teams are booming, he still gets a nice piece of the pie.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Aha! He’s a pie-eater!

13. historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’m not even reading this post about watching the Marlins.

14. thebadguyswon - Apr 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I don’t see any way out of this other than MLB forcing Loria to sell. Can’t see how it ends any other way.

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I can – Scrooge McLoria remains in place and the Macondo market limps along indefinitely, like a case of psoriasis.

15. stephenolszewski - Apr 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM

If they trade Stanton I’d be shocked if anyone watches, feel so bad for the Miami fans (and I thought the Dolans were bad)

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3746)