Apr 12, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Brandon Belt had an angry, red bruise just above his right hip. Ryan Vogelsong was even angrier. The Giants’ intense right-hander was incensed that Belt was hit in what the Giants viewed as a clear retaliatory act in the fourth inning of a 7-1 loss to the San Diego Padres on Sunday.
Vogelsong had hit Carlos Quentin two innings earlier. And after the game, Vogelsong sent a verbal shot whizzing in Quentin’s direction. “The guy hammers balls over the plate and then gets pissed when you throw them inside,” Vogelsong said. “Doesn’t make sense. … Every time you hit a guy in this game, they think you did it on purpose. It’s tired.”
Whatever you think of what happened last night, it does seem odd that a hitter who gets plunked an average of 25 times per 150 games wouldn’t be a little more used to it by now.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (158)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)