Apr 12, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
Brandon Belt had an angry, red bruise just above his right hip. Ryan Vogelsong was even angrier. The Giants’ intense right-hander was incensed that Belt was hit in what the Giants viewed as a clear retaliatory act in the fourth inning of a 7-1 loss to the San Diego Padres on Sunday.
Vogelsong had hit Carlos Quentin two innings earlier. And after the game, Vogelsong sent a verbal shot whizzing in Quentin’s direction. “The guy hammers balls over the plate and then gets pissed when you throw them inside,” Vogelsong said. “Doesn’t make sense. … Every time you hit a guy in this game, they think you did it on purpose. It’s tired.”
Whatever you think of what happened last night, it does seem odd that a hitter who gets plunked an average of 25 times per 150 games wouldn’t be a little more used to it by now.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 246
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (247)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (91)