Apr 12, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Orioles appeared to be mounting a rally in the top of the eighth after surrendering three runs to the Yankees in the bottom of the seventh. Alexi Casilla and Nick Markakis both singled to put runners on first and second with no outs, but after a lengthy battle between starter C.C. Sabathia and third baseman Manny Machado, the Yankees were treated to a triple play to maintain their 5-2 lead. It was a little confusing. The recap from MLB.com’s Gameday:
Second baseman Robinson Cano to shortstop Jayson Nix to third baseman Kevin Youkilis to shortstop Jayson Nix to third baseman Kevin Youkilis to first baseman Lyle Overbay to second baseman Robinson Cano. Alexi Casilla out at 3rd. Nick Markakis out at 2nd.
That is 4-6-5-6-5-3-4 if you’re scoring the game at home.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 40
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)