Apr 13, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The L.A. Angels, some prognosticators’ pick to win the AL West, have stumbled out of the gate to a 2-8 start, dead last in the division. As I write this, they trail the Astros, some prognosticators’ pick to win fewer than 55 games, 2-0 a night after getting blanked 5-0. With a loss tonight, they would be in danger of a series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for the Halos. Josh Hamilton, whom they signed to a five-year, $125 million contract over the off-season, entered the night with a .492 OPS. Mike Trout, the defending AL Rookie of the Year, is hitting .227 with no homers. Jered Weaver is out until late May with a fractured elbow. The starting rotation has otherwise been dreadful, posting a 6.02 ERA entering tonight, the third-worst mark in the Majors.
That being said, all the Angels have to do to keep the faith is look at Albert Pujols. Many pronouced the slugger dead last season when he entered May with a .570 OPS and no home runs. From the start of May through the end of the regular season, Pujols posted a .910 OPS with 30 homers.
Their -23 run differential through ten games is their third-worst in franchise history. Their fourth-worst? They were at -20 through ten games in 2002, the year they won 99 games during the regular season and the World Series.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 132
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (132)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)