Apr 13, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The L.A. Angels, some prognosticators’ pick to win the AL West, have stumbled out of the gate to a 2-8 start, dead last in the division. As I write this, they trail the Astros, some prognosticators’ pick to win fewer than 55 games, 2-0 a night after getting blanked 5-0. With a loss tonight, they would be in danger of a series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for the Halos. Josh Hamilton, whom they signed to a five-year, $125 million contract over the off-season, entered the night with a .492 OPS. Mike Trout, the defending AL Rookie of the Year, is hitting .227 with no homers. Jered Weaver is out until late May with a fractured elbow. The starting rotation has otherwise been dreadful, posting a 6.02 ERA entering tonight, the third-worst mark in the Majors.
That being said, all the Angels have to do to keep the faith is look at Albert Pujols. Many pronouced the slugger dead last season when he entered May with a .570 OPS and no home runs. From the start of May through the end of the regular season, Pujols posted a .910 OPS with 30 homers.
Their -23 run differential through ten games is their third-worst in franchise history. Their fourth-worst? They were at -20 through ten games in 2002, the year they won 99 games during the regular season and the World Series.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)