Apr 13, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The L.A. Angels, some prognosticators’ pick to win the AL West, have stumbled out of the gate to a 2-8 start, dead last in the division. As I write this, they trail the Astros, some prognosticators’ pick to win fewer than 55 games, 2-0 a night after getting blanked 5-0. With a loss tonight, they would be in danger of a series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for the Halos. Josh Hamilton, whom they signed to a five-year, $125 million contract over the off-season, entered the night with a .492 OPS. Mike Trout, the defending AL Rookie of the Year, is hitting .227 with no homers. Jered Weaver is out until late May with a fractured elbow. The starting rotation has otherwise been dreadful, posting a 6.02 ERA entering tonight, the third-worst mark in the Majors.
That being said, all the Angels have to do to keep the faith is look at Albert Pujols. Many pronouced the slugger dead last season when he entered May with a .570 OPS and no home runs. From the start of May through the end of the regular season, Pujols posted a .910 OPS with 30 homers.
Their -23 run differential through ten games is their third-worst in franchise history. Their fourth-worst? They were at -20 through ten games in 2002, the year they won 99 games during the regular season and the World Series.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)