Apr 13, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
X-rays were negative on Cespedes’ hand, CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt reports.
Cespedes was injured on an awkward slide into second while attempting a steal in the eighth. While it didn’t look good at the time, he was able to stay in to play defense. He was then removed for a pinch-hitter in the 11th when his spot in the order came up.
The departures forced the A’s to shuffle their lineup and move designated hitter Chris Young into the outfield. That put reliever Jerry Blevins in the cleanup spot to begin the 12th inning in the game against the Tigers. Fortunately for the A’s, the pitcher’s spot never came up: Josh Donaldson homered in the bottom of the inning to give the team a 4-3 win.
Crisp’s injury comes at a bad time for him: he’s been one of the AL’s best players so far, hitting .333 with four homers, five doubles and a league-high 14 runs scored.
Still, the A’s are well set up to lose an outfielder, what with Young available to play center regularly. It’d hurt more if two went down, but even then, they’d be able to play Seth Smith and Brandon Moss in left whenever they chose. Also, they have two red-hot outfielders at Triple-A Sacramento awaiting opportunities; Michael Taylor is hitting .410 with three homers and 11 RBI for the River Cats, while teammate Shane Peterson has a .440/.588/.600 line in eight games.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)