Apr 13, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
X-rays were negative on Cespedes’ hand, CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt reports.
Cespedes was injured on an awkward slide into second while attempting a steal in the eighth. While it didn’t look good at the time, he was able to stay in to play defense. He was then removed for a pinch-hitter in the 11th when his spot in the order came up.
The departures forced the A’s to shuffle their lineup and move designated hitter Chris Young into the outfield. That put reliever Jerry Blevins in the cleanup spot to begin the 12th inning in the game against the Tigers. Fortunately for the A’s, the pitcher’s spot never came up: Josh Donaldson homered in the bottom of the inning to give the team a 4-3 win.
Crisp’s injury comes at a bad time for him: he’s been one of the AL’s best players so far, hitting .333 with four homers, five doubles and a league-high 14 runs scored.
Still, the A’s are well set up to lose an outfielder, what with Young available to play center regularly. It’d hurt more if two went down, but even then, they’d be able to play Seth Smith and Brandon Moss in left whenever they chose. Also, they have two red-hot outfielders at Triple-A Sacramento awaiting opportunities; Michael Taylor is hitting .410 with three homers and 11 RBI for the River Cats, while teammate Shane Peterson has a .440/.588/.600 line in eight games.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)