Apr 13, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
According to Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com, the Athletics have placed outfielder Yoenis Cespedes on the 15-day disabled list with a strained muscle in his left hand. Michael Taylor has been recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to replace him on the active roster.
Cespedes was injured last night on an awkward slide into second while attempting to steal a base in the eighth inning. He stayed in the game initially, but was eventually replaced for a pinch-hitter in the 11th inning. The good news is that X-rays and an MRI ruled out any structural damage, so the A’s are hoping that he’ll be ready to return as soon as he’s eligible.
Seth Smith, Chris Young and Taylor could all be in the mix for playing time in left field in the coming days. Coco Crisp was forced to exit last night’s game with a left groin strain, but Pratt hears that could return to the lineup as soon as tomorrow.
Cespedes is hitting .200 (8-for-40) with three home runs and seven RBI through 11 games this season. The Cuban outfielder launched 23 homers in 129 games as a rookie last season.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)