Apr 13, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
According to Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com, the Athletics have placed outfielder Yoenis Cespedes on the 15-day disabled list with a strained muscle in his left hand. Michael Taylor has been recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to replace him on the active roster.
Cespedes was injured last night on an awkward slide into second while attempting to steal a base in the eighth inning. He stayed in the game initially, but was eventually replaced for a pinch-hitter in the 11th inning. The good news is that X-rays and an MRI ruled out any structural damage, so the A’s are hoping that he’ll be ready to return as soon as he’s eligible.
Seth Smith, Chris Young and Taylor could all be in the mix for playing time in left field in the coming days. Coco Crisp was forced to exit last night’s game with a left groin strain, but Pratt hears that could return to the lineup as soon as tomorrow.
Cespedes is hitting .200 (8-for-40) with three home runs and seven RBI through 11 games this season. The Cuban outfielder launched 23 homers in 129 games as a rookie last season.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 6
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 13
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 11
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)