D-Backs owner makes Dodgers fans change clothes

Apr 13, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Deadspin’s Timothy Burke noticed that fans in the expensive batter’s box suite behind home plate at Chase Field happened to change their clothes during last night’s game against the Dodgers. It turned out that Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick wasn’t a fan of all the blue that could be seen on TV, so he asked them to change their clothes.

The Diamondbacks replied to Deadspin about the incident:

Due to the high visibility of the home plate box, we ask opposing team’s fans when they purchase those seats to refrain from wearing that team’s colors. During last night’s game, when Ken Kendrick noticed the fans there, he offered them another suite if they preferred to remain in their Dodger gear. When they chose to stay, he bought them all D-backs gear and a round of drinks and requested that they abide by our policy and they obliged.

Maybe it was an homage to Seinfeld.

1. Shafer's Dealer - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Triumph of the Will…

• manchestermiracle - Apr 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Triumph of the DoucheBacks. Arbitrarily telling paying customers what they can or cannot wear in your stadium is about as anally retentive as it gets. What’s next for Kendrick, making sure no tickets are sold to any fans of visiting teams? That would solve his color issues anyway. I guess if you’re only .500 at home you’ll do anything for the appearance of an advantage.

• seattlej - Apr 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Think you need to look up “arbitrary”.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Arbitrary: Subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one’s discretion.

• ezthinking - Apr 14, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Then hold the seats only for your fans. Put it on the free market and………….

• slavetothetrafficlight - Apr 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

when the Dodgers come to town, only sell tickets to Arizona residents. Call it “Taking Back the Ballpark.” Or “Grititude.” Worked for the Nats.

2. chill1184 - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

lulz

3. boyofzimmer - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM

As a Cub’s fan life has been tough, but at least I’m not a D’back’s fan!

• dondada10 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Seriously. I mean, the D-Backs haven’t won a championship since 2001!

4. paperlions - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Petty bullshit.

• historiophiliac - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM

See, now I would’ve just had to refuse and then make a thing out of it. Those Dodgers fans had no grit.

• Kevin S. - Apr 14, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Exactly. This was all about optics. I would have clearly laid out the media shit-storm Kendrick would be facing if he actually tried to have us removed, then told him to Google the Streisand Effect for good measure. Maybe if some D’Back fans were willing to drop that much on his seats it wouldn’t be an issue. They happily took the Dodger fans’ money.

• historiophiliac - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

You’d think the business community there would be unhappy if he was discouraging tourism. As a visitor, you might not be inclined to go to a game there now. I certainly wouldn’t buy a ticket there if it meant I had to wear the opposing team’s stuff. Also, can you not cheer for your team either? How strange would it look to have a group in Dbacks t-shirts cheering the Dodgers? If I was watching at home, I’d think their fans were either haters or morons for cheering the “wrong” plays…or there was a group of drunkies behind the plate.

5. mungman69 - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

That’s very childish. If those fans were from the east they would have shot that dude.

6. cathubodva - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

This is incorrect. He told them if they did not comply they would be forcibly removed from the stadium in handcuffs. One of the people had her young daughter there and asked “my daughter too?” and Mr. Kendrick replied “whatever it takes”.

When told that they were unaware of that rule when they purchased the tickets, Mr. Kendrick replied that the rule went into effect “5 minutes ago”.

Also, purchase of tickets for the box included amenities, so that round of drinks had already been paid for by those within the box.

But the D’back gear was correct, he did give that along with a few other things as well.

• pipkin42 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Source?

• cathubodva - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My sister and her husband were among the people who purchased those seats.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

They would have had to forcibly remove me with handcuffs.
      But it wouldn’t have been for refusing to remove my Cardinals jersey.
      It would have been for punching Mr. Kendrick in the mouth.

7. artthoumad - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

wow this is completely childish. who cares if they’re not wearing home team colors? they didn’t disrupt the game in anyway

8. hittfamily - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Is this a publicly financed stadium? If so, those fans should have the right to wear whatever non-obscene, non gang related attire the so please. If Mr Kendrick owns the staduim, he can do that, in my mind.

I’m no lawyer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn express last night, and I wore whatever the ef I wanted to.

9. randygnyc - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I was going to say that I respected what Kendrick did by upholding stadium policy but at the same time, making an effort to make visiting customers feel welcome. A difficult tightrope to walk. And that he did it himself is even more commendable. But now, with cathubodva’s post, I’m going to have to see more info. What I’m hoping to see here is that either bill Baer or Craig reach out to this poster to verify his story. If true, it’s front page newsworthy.

• cathubodva - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

If anyone reaches out to me, I’ll be pointing them to my sister and her husband and their friends. He wasn’t exactly nice about it, maybe he realized he pulled a jerk move by the stuff he gave them after. But she said it was incredibly embarrassing how he handled it at the time.

• hittfamily - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Was it their clothing, or their grit that was the problem?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Let’s forget about Cathubova’s post for a minute Randy.
      Please advise how Mr. Kendrick was “upholding stadium policy.”
      Did the tickets have a disclaimer stating the ticket holder must refrain from wearing opposing teams gear?

10. onbucky96 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Can we do this to Cubs fans @Miller Park. Damn North-Siders come in and think they own the place. Sorry, no nets here to catch falling concrete, unlike Wrigley.

• Uncle Charlie - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ha, yes let the 50 non fair weather fans watch the beer men in peace.

11. dfpoor - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:22 PM

If the ticket says NO DODGER GEAR, this is legal. Otherwise, it is illegal.

North Koreans are snickering at our lack of freedoms.

12. vallewho - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM

What a pile of horseshit.

• historiophiliac - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM

fertilizer

13. zappxx - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Consume! Obey! You’re in the USA!

14. Walk - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I think they should have found the nearest peace officer and reported the crazy man impersonating a team official.

15. slickdemetrius - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Make your team a perennial winner and the fans will want to wear your paraphernalia. It’s your own fault you cheap old ********.

16. latinkings13 - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I would’ve told the bitch owner to kick me out himself!! Dodgers All Day Everyday!!

17. stairwayto7 - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM

No fan base! They sit on their hands until the scoreboard tells them to clap! Sad when 19,000 show up for a Pirate game and over 1,000 r Pirate fans!

18. lostsok - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM

…after which the fans watched LA beat the D-Backs. That is called ‘the last laugh.’ Choke on it.

19. livepredictor - Apr 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Solid seats…Can’t say the same about the team.

20. manchestermiracle - Apr 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM

The owner of an entertainment franchise telling paying customers how to dress smacks of an authoritarian state, not a democracy. Why is it that those who benefit most from a free-market system are always acting like autocratic assholes?

21. manchestermiracle - Apr 14, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Hyun-Jin Ryu pitched well enough to get his second win, helped his cause by going 3 for 3 at the plate, the Dodgers got good production from the heart of the order in snapping their six-game losing streak at Chase Field, and all we get is a story about the D-Backs’ owner’s idea of fashion? Thanks a lot.

22. Marty - Apr 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Kershaw should convince the Dbacks of “what’s best for them”

23. jaydoubleyou22 - Apr 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I’m glad Kershaw isn’t pitching in the Padres series because he would gladly convince Quentin that he doesn’t know what’s best for him by appealing his suspension. And then Kersh would end up with a suspension of his own. I say, send Tolleson out there to show Quentin the business. (I assume that’s where the “what’s best for them” reference came from).

Monday should be uneventful, especially since Bills is pitching and we all know dating back to the NLCS he doesn’t like to mix it up, not to mention it’s JR day. Mattingly I’m sure has already heard an earful from torre about not pulling anything that day. Tuesday will be the big day.

P.S., if chat’s comment is true and I have no reason to believe it’s not, then the record needs to be set straight on this. D’backs get good publicity for a guy being a jerk? Not cool.

24. rbj1 - Apr 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM

So is there a competition between Hendricks and Loria about who can be a bigger jackass?

25. ramblingalb - Apr 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The irony here is, despite a nearly infinite selection of headline choices, they went with one that is nearly the exact opposite of what happened. The DBacks requested they either move or change, and they did.

The mock outrage hasn’t been this high since Craig wrote “the sky is falling” on a mundane topic only he cares about three dozen times last week.

• hughhansen - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

If you read the original piece, you’ll see the headline is accurate. It’s the Diamondbacks’ statement that’s not.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

You are rambling Al!

All the trade deadline news to know