Apr 13, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
Good news for a lineup which is severely lacking in pop.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Giancarlo Stanton is day-to-day after an MRI revealed a left shoulder contusion. While the young slugger is out of the lineup tonight for the second straight game, he will not required an extended absence. The Marlins will go with Placido Polanco, Austin Kearns and Justin Ruggiano in the heart of their lineup tonight against Phillies’ left-hander Cole Hamels, so they need a healthy Stanton in the worst way.
Stanton has struggled through the early part of the season, hitting just .167 (5-for-30) with two extra-base hits (zero homers) and 12 strikeouts. He has also been walked eight times, so teams haven’t been all that interested in giving him anything to hit.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)