Apr 13, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
Good news for a lineup which is severely lacking in pop.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Giancarlo Stanton is day-to-day after an MRI revealed a left shoulder contusion. While the young slugger is out of the lineup tonight for the second straight game, he will not required an extended absence. The Marlins will go with Placido Polanco, Austin Kearns and Justin Ruggiano in the heart of their lineup tonight against Phillies’ left-hander Cole Hamels, so they need a healthy Stanton in the worst way.
Stanton has struggled through the early part of the season, hitting just .167 (5-for-30) with two extra-base hits (zero homers) and 12 strikeouts. He has also been walked eight times, so teams haven’t been all that interested in giving him anything to hit.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (280)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)