Apr 13, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
Darvish opened the bottom of the first by hitting Jason Bay with one out and then giving up three singles, putting the Rangers in the early 3-0 hole. He was stellar afterwards, allowing no more hits, walking just one and striking out eight before leaving after six.
Iwakuma, though, was steadier. He spread out his three hits, so Ian Kinsler‘s fourth-inning homer did only a little damage. He ended up striking out six and walking one in 6 2/3 innings.
The Mariners won with a makeshift outfield after losing Michael Saunders and Michael Morse to injuries the last two days. Raul Ibanez started in left, Endy Chavez played center and Bay started in right. Franklin Gutierrez, who was getting the night off, came in as a defensive replacement late.
Somewhat disappointing to the Mariners was that Justin Smoak and Dustin Ackley continued to struggle. Those two have combined for 77 at-bats this year and still don’t have an extra-base hit between them. Jesus Montero, another player the Mariners were hoping would step up, sat in favor of Kelly Shoppach in this one.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)