Apr 13, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
Darvish opened the bottom of the first by hitting Jason Bay with one out and then giving up three singles, putting the Rangers in the early 3-0 hole. He was stellar afterwards, allowing no more hits, walking just one and striking out eight before leaving after six.
Iwakuma, though, was steadier. He spread out his three hits, so Ian Kinsler‘s fourth-inning homer did only a little damage. He ended up striking out six and walking one in 6 2/3 innings.
The Mariners won with a makeshift outfield after losing Michael Saunders and Michael Morse to injuries the last two days. Raul Ibanez started in left, Endy Chavez played center and Bay started in right. Franklin Gutierrez, who was getting the night off, came in as a defensive replacement late.
Somewhat disappointing to the Mariners was that Justin Smoak and Dustin Ackley continued to struggle. Those two have combined for 77 at-bats this year and still don’t have an extra-base hit between them. Jesus Montero, another player the Mariners were hoping would step up, sat in favor of Kelly Shoppach in this one.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)