Apr 13, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Bad news for the Reds: Johnny Cueto had to exit the game in the fifth inning with a right arm injury after getting one out in the fifth inning. He left after throwing a warm-up pitch. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests it might be a triceps injury.
The right-hander had held the Pirates to one run on two hits and a walk, and appeared to be his third consecutive quality start to open the 2013 season. Alfredo Simon came in to relieve Cueto, but allowed three singles as the Pirates took a 2-1 lead.
Update (9:00 PM): The Reds official Twitter confirms it is a triceps injury.
Cueto left with pain in his right triceps. Was removed from the game for precautionary reasons. Will be evaluated again tomorrow.
— Reds (@Reds) April 14, 2013
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)