Apr 13, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Bad news for the Reds: Johnny Cueto had to exit the game in the fifth inning with a right arm injury after getting one out in the fifth inning. He left after throwing a warm-up pitch. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests it might be a triceps injury.
The right-hander had held the Pirates to one run on two hits and a walk, and appeared to be his third consecutive quality start to open the 2013 season. Alfredo Simon came in to relieve Cueto, but allowed three singles as the Pirates took a 2-1 lead.
Update (9:00 PM): The Reds official Twitter confirms it is a triceps injury.
Cueto left with pain in his right triceps. Was removed from the game for precautionary reasons. Will be evaluated again tomorrow.
— Reds (@Reds) April 14, 2013
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)