Apr 13, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Bad news for the Reds: Johnny Cueto had to exit the game in the fifth inning with a right arm injury after getting one out in the fifth inning. He left after throwing a warm-up pitch. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests it might be a triceps injury.
The right-hander had held the Pirates to one run on two hits and a walk, and appeared to be his third consecutive quality start to open the 2013 season. Alfredo Simon came in to relieve Cueto, but allowed three singles as the Pirates took a 2-1 lead.
Update (9:00 PM): The Reds official Twitter confirms it is a triceps injury.
Cueto left with pain in his right triceps. Was removed from the game for precautionary reasons. Will be evaluated again tomorrow.
— Reds (@Reds) April 14, 2013
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)