Apr 13, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Bad news for the Reds: Johnny Cueto had to exit the game in the fifth inning with a right arm injury after getting one out in the fifth inning. He left after throwing a warm-up pitch. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests it might be a triceps injury.
The right-hander had held the Pirates to one run on two hits and a walk, and appeared to be his third consecutive quality start to open the 2013 season. Alfredo Simon came in to relieve Cueto, but allowed three singles as the Pirates took a 2-1 lead.
Update (9:00 PM): The Reds official Twitter confirms it is a triceps injury.
Cueto left with pain in his right triceps. Was removed from the game for precautionary reasons. Will be evaluated again tomorrow.
— Reds (@Reds) April 14, 2013
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 18
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 81
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 6
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)