Apr 13, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
The 2013 season in Toronto opened with so much promise, but the first half of April has brought only disappointment to Blue Jays fans. Not only have big acquisitions R.A. Dickey, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle all gotten off to terrible starts, but now Jose Reyes is expected to miss 1-3 months with an ankle sprain suffered on a steal attempt Friday.
“It’s a nightmare, he’s a big part of this team,” manager John Gibbons told the Toronto Sun. “He’s the face of this team in a lot of ways. We’ve got to deal with it, the train keeps moving, the game keeps going on. We’ve got to pick up the slack.”
While the Jays opened the season with nice offensive depth, it’s been tested sorely with Brett Lawrie and now Reyes absent. They’ll likely go with Emilio Bonifacio at short and Maicer Izturis at second for now. Mark DeRosa and Jose Bautista could split time at third until Lawrie returns. That will open up starts for Rajai Davis in right field in Bautista’s place.
Reyes has had plenty of hard luck with injuries — this will be the fourth season in the last five in which he’s spent time on the DL — but he has only himself to blame for this one. Looking back towards home plate on his steal of second, he lost track of where he was on the basepath and decided way too late to attempt the slide.
Here’s the video:
An MRI will give the Jays a better idea of whether Reyes’ absence will be of the 4-6 week variety or something closer to 8-12. Either way, they’ll probably look outside the organization for some shortstop help. In the meantime, Ryan Goins will likely be called up to serve as a backup.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)