Apr 13, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
The 2013 season in Toronto opened with so much promise, but the first half of April has brought only disappointment to Blue Jays fans. Not only have big acquisitions R.A. Dickey, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle all gotten off to terrible starts, but now Jose Reyes is expected to miss 1-3 months with an ankle sprain suffered on a steal attempt Friday.
“It’s a nightmare, he’s a big part of this team,” manager John Gibbons told the Toronto Sun. “He’s the face of this team in a lot of ways. We’ve got to deal with it, the train keeps moving, the game keeps going on. We’ve got to pick up the slack.”
While the Jays opened the season with nice offensive depth, it’s been tested sorely with Brett Lawrie and now Reyes absent. They’ll likely go with Emilio Bonifacio at short and Maicer Izturis at second for now. Mark DeRosa and Jose Bautista could split time at third until Lawrie returns. That will open up starts for Rajai Davis in right field in Bautista’s place.
Reyes has had plenty of hard luck with injuries — this will be the fourth season in the last five in which he’s spent time on the DL — but he has only himself to blame for this one. Looking back towards home plate on his steal of second, he lost track of where he was on the basepath and decided way too late to attempt the slide.
Here’s the video:
An MRI will give the Jays a better idea of whether Reyes’ absence will be of the 4-6 week variety or something closer to 8-12. Either way, they’ll probably look outside the organization for some shortstop help. In the meantime, Ryan Goins will likely be called up to serve as a backup.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)