Apr 13, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
The 2013 season in Toronto opened with so much promise, but the first half of April has brought only disappointment to Blue Jays fans. Not only have big acquisitions R.A. Dickey, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle all gotten off to terrible starts, but now Jose Reyes is expected to miss 1-3 months with an ankle sprain suffered on a steal attempt Friday.
“It’s a nightmare, he’s a big part of this team,” manager John Gibbons told the Toronto Sun. “He’s the face of this team in a lot of ways. We’ve got to deal with it, the train keeps moving, the game keeps going on. We’ve got to pick up the slack.”
While the Jays opened the season with nice offensive depth, it’s been tested sorely with Brett Lawrie and now Reyes absent. They’ll likely go with Emilio Bonifacio at short and Maicer Izturis at second for now. Mark DeRosa and Jose Bautista could split time at third until Lawrie returns. That will open up starts for Rajai Davis in right field in Bautista’s place.
Reyes has had plenty of hard luck with injuries — this will be the fourth season in the last five in which he’s spent time on the DL — but he has only himself to blame for this one. Looking back towards home plate on his steal of second, he lost track of where he was on the basepath and decided way too late to attempt the slide.
Here’s the video:
An MRI will give the Jays a better idea of whether Reyes’ absence will be of the 4-6 week variety or something closer to 8-12. Either way, they’ll probably look outside the organization for some shortstop help. In the meantime, Ryan Goins will likely be called up to serve as a backup.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)